Collins replies

Peter Waller

the press all to often come in for a pasting, usually because they provide what people actually want to read, rather than what people think they want to read.

however the pc issue certainly is news in the angling and conservation world, not his recent letter, but the rest of the story, is 100% news. an offence, an arrest, a court case and a controversial verdict, news whether you read it in the AT, AM, telegraph, sun, beano, wherever

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is should AM have published Collins' letter.

This is not reporting and from what I can see his response should have been incorporated in a feature article on all aspects of the events in question and certainly not published as a star letter!!

the star letter thing is a joke, i'll agree with that, though i'd be intrigued to see his next fixed line setup incororating a baitrunner!

if they hadnt published it, (and i still havent read it as i dont buy the mail) they would have been criticised too. maybe it should have been used as part of a feature, but as the incident has already received a lot of column inches they probably didnt see it justifying many more, also as part of a feature it could have been seen as being inline with AM editorial policy, whereas as a letter its obviously the view of the writer and noone else

jeepster:

however the pc issue certainly is news in the angling and conservation world, not his recent letter, but the rest of the story, is 100% news. an offence, an arrest, a court case and a controversial verdict, news whether you read it in the AT, AM, telegraph, sun, beano, wherever

Was news, Jeepster - the "new" in "news" means just that.

What we have here is the recycling of (to use an oxymoron old news) - history if you like - for the sake of sales (IMHO).

Now I'm not saying that things discussed once aren't worth discussing twice, but I resent the fact that he's been given a soapbox from which to justify his actions when it is clear to most people that what he did is utterly unjustifiable.

Keith

Blyth

Northumberland

http://www.northeastangler.co.uk

KK:

news, Jeepster - the "new" in "news" means just that.

maybe it does and maybe it doesnt, the derivations of words are rarely so clear. there are plenty of people who believe the word news comes from the 4 points of the compass, North, East, you get the idea.

news is my business, so excuse me for thinking i may know a little about principles of it.

anyhow, all thats of little relavence when you consider that 'the soapbox from which to justify his actions' has spawned this discussion, if he hadnt submitted that letter, all this may have been forgotten about and we mave have laboured under the misapprehension that he was a harmless old man who was misunderstood, at least now we all know hes an evil old sod who still hasnt received suitable punishment for his crime. maybe thats why the mail published his letter, to let the more enlightened members of the angling fraternity to see something approaching the truth. (well a man can dream cant he?)

lardvader:

Out of my own ignorance and curiosity, who was/is Peter Collins?

In this context and from what I have read, older gent who found at least one fish species he disliked and set out to catch and kill as many as he possibly could - using illegal methods to do a good part of the catching.

He was (arrested, something ??) for doing the illegal deed and for various, slightly obscure reasons, was only warned that he was being naughty and should cease.

I think he agreed he would behave and the matter was closed and from the sound of it (I don't see any UK papers over here) has now gotten a letter published where he pretty much says he was just kidding when he said he'd stop.

If I got any of this wrong, someone please put in the corrections.

[ 27. August 2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's just about it Newt, what got me going particularly was his little jibe along the lines of.... you will all be pleased to hear that I've had my gaff returned to me, and have been told that I can legally kill as many zeds as I can catch on rod and line....!!!

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I think that Lardvader meant who was Collins prior to the set line incident.

Other than that he was a one time editor of the Angling Times I cant help but Peter or Fenboy could fill you in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!