Carp curtains - ooer!

mpbdsnu

Very often we see or are are shown - especially on tv with some of the 'experts' - at the top just inside the carps' mouth, there is a 'curtain', a thin membrane.

We are told that if this is intact, then the carp has "never been caught before".

Yet, at the same time we see that, more often than not, the hook is in the corner of the mouth or in the bottom lip!

So, how can this 'curtain' (or lack of it) be used as a guide as to whether a carp has been caught before or not?

Opinions please?

[ 10. December 2002, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

ive thought about this before and what i cant get my head around is why people think that a fish being caught will make this curtain all of a sudden disappear. i mean if someone get there lip pieced ( quite why i dont know ) they dont lose there tongue or any other part of there mouth do they. i think its just one of them things people just say because they want to believe that they were the only person to have ever caught that fish. i could be wrong but you did ask for opinions

I think this is one of those urban myths.

I've no doubt rough unhooking would damage & probably destroy the 'curtain', but I've caught a few Carp now that I know are repeat captures & they still have it intact.

Then there is my Ghostie in the pond at home, he weighs about 6lb now, never seen a hook in his life & never had a 'curtain'!!!!

Work that out.

Peter.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Peter - obviously tore it while horseback riding (or at least that is the US excuse given by young female persons in a similar situation).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hey - woodzzy, I was tempted to add a few comments in that connection but decided against it! :D

'catcherofcarps' - you could well be right mate!

As far as my limited knowledge extends, this 'membrane' or 'curtain', once it becomes damaged in any way (hook?) it dies and sort of withers away!

Peter - I reckon you could be right too - I think it would be more than likely be down to rough unhooking and handling practices than anything else. :(

Newt - roflmao - we hear that excuse over here a lot too!

[ 11. December 2002, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

I always thought they lost it while riding a "bike", well just after getting off the back of mine, HEE,HEE

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

No clue here - neither fish nor female human persons.

May be one of those things that just doesn't seem to have a real function at this point in time - like the human appendix.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President