frusrtrating

kendo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chesters1:

if your getting 8lb line snapped i suggest the fish are larger than you think    

no no no I am not being snapped on 8lbs line but I have on anything less,my prob is that plenty of bites that I just can't seem to hit even held the rod at times instead of placing it in the rest so that I could react instantly on the strike,the fish seem to be able to steal the bait however I strike such as a straight lift or sideways strike.I have fished since I was 14 I am now 46 and have never had this frustration to this extent before.the rules at the fishery mean that boilies, pelletts,braid,and bolt rigs are banned.the venue used to have alot of match fishing on it but they dont allow matches anymore but as a result the fish are very educated to baits, presentation and the like.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

I get the same problem with missed bites, but I convince myself that the ones I miss are small skimmers (certainly quite a few of the ones I *do* connect with turn out to be)

DavyR:

I get the same problem with missed bites, but I convince myself that the ones I miss are small skimmers (certainly quite a few of the ones I *do* connect with turn out to be)    :(

I appreciate what your saying but after the strike there were big swirls which were certainly not from small fish it could be that not all the fish in the swim are big and that there is a mix and that for most part the majority of bites could be from these fish and the strike spooking the larger fish as it was only 2 1/2 feet deep.

If you think these BIG fish are in the 3lb - 10lb range you shouldnt be getting snapped off while using 5lb main line tied to a 5lb hook length.

Check your knots before fishing, pull them real hard put them to the test before a fish does.

Mabey you are fighting the fish too hard? Loosen the drag if your using it.

Seems like your doing most things right.

Good luck

Joel

[ 21. July 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

J.K:

If you think this BIG think are in the 3lb - 10lb range you shouldnt be getting snapped off while using 5lb main line tied to a 5lb hook length.

Check your knots before fishing, pull them real hard put them to the test before a fish does.

Mabey you are fighting the fish too hard? Loosen the drag if your using it.

I appreciate your post but,the main prob is hitting the bites in the first place re read my origianl post.

regards the knots I have had no probs there but loosining the clutch is out of the question as this swim is so tight that allowing the larger fish to run is suicide.

Seems like your doing most things right.

Good luck

Joel

Well I'm no expert but are you sure they are bites and not just fish nudging your line or float?

Also, I know this doesn't help much but it could have just been "one of those days". We've all had them! (I certainly have anyway! :D )

If this was happening every session then I would start to get worried but the way you describe it it just sounds like a one-off.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

cheers bingo it could well have been,I have not been able to come up with any other explanation for it.my original post was to see if anyone had any other ideas,seems most likely explanation.

The standard answer in this situation is to increase the distance between your bottom shot and the hook. This will give the fish more time to take the bait before they feel anything.

On the other hand, if you're bait comes back chewed and you haven't seen much indication, then shorten this distance. The result is that bites will show more quickly.

It's also worth changing the depth if this doesn't work. What to do here comes with practice and reading the little signs, but I'd start by moving the float up in the first situation, and down in the second.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net