Unnessecary carp gear??

carpking

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And/or all things stainless :D

I suppose I can't really say that having a stainless pod and bank sticks. However that's because they were the design I wanted and not because they are stainless. As for camo gear it just makes me laugh. A mate has 'cammo'd' his water bottle and bait bucket, but why ? I can see the point if doing a lot of stalking but he isn't.

Rob. :confused:

Depends what school of thought you follow.

Theres the traditionalist:

No bite alarms, no pods, no chairs, no tents, no hair rig and all the hair related accessories, no boilies, no braid, no carbon, no backlead, no spod, no pva. Just an old rod, a reel, and a bit of tin foil for when stationary angling and in desire of some form of bobbin.

But I dont think many of us could cope with that.

Instead...I would say...the most useless item of carp tackle is...[personally] the spod rocket.

I hate the bloody things. They scare the fish, they're clunky, they resemble a rude part of ones body and are about as efficent as most!

Gimme the creeps. God help me when i cant find the fish any closer in that i do now eh?

Woodzzz:

Depends what school of thought you follow.

Theres the traditionalist:

No bite alarms, no chairs, no tents,

Im sure i've seen pictures of Richard Walker at Redmire in the 50's with his bite alarms, deckchair & tent.

If you believe that as many do Richard Walker started the whole Carp tradition then traditional gear will include all of the above.

Scott.

Mixed ideas about traditionalism here.

For one they were new inventions, and the tradition of carp fishing was in full flow by the time they began creating alarms.

Dick Walker wasn't the only angler of the time and was criticised for creating bite alarms as they were seen as "cheating", removing the observational and attentative traits from angling.

I dont think he started a tradition of carp fishing, but i think he certainly opened our eyes to specimen carp.

Dick Walker and the gang were the only real angler in the public eye at the time, there are writings of other anonomous anglers that far surpass that of Dick Walkers in my own opinion.

If 'Lost Lines of Anglers' is still in Waterstones i recommend a read.

Many forget that they were fishing for virgin carp, a much less difficult affair than many of us encounter nowadays, and angling was performed in teams, with prebaiting campaigns etc etc.

My idea of a traditionalist would be more in the form of an incorrigible bearded fellow famous for larger specimens at redmire :D

Guess it's different for others though.

Surely one of the most pointless designs ever is that of the Badger sleeping bag with the camouflage pattern on the inside!

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Personally, I'd say that the only 'unneccessary' tackle is anything you don't enjoy using or owning.

That which sustains, prolongs or increases the pleasure of fishing - is ENTIRELY 'neccessary'.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.