Back Leading????

Polly

I know I should know what this is all about but only really dabbled with carp fishing until this year. Now I hear & read about people doing it but don't like to show my ignorance by asking (finally plucked up courage to ask on here!!!). As I understand it you attach a weight onto the mainline somehow to help pin it down to the lake bed, more than that I know not. Pressumably it goes on after the cast???? and what haapens when you get a run????. I suppose I sort of understand the theory but cannot get my head round the practice. Explanations in words of one syllable please!!!!

Main reason for asking is I'm going to upgrade my pod to a Fox Quattro and they do a "Back Lead" kit for around £20ish. Thought I'd order it all together if it's something I'm going to need and use.

Sorry to be such a "Noddy" but we all need to learn.

Thanks - Phil

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil,

A backlead that you clip on afterwards has a nice, free-running 'eye' on it. There are also flying backleads, which are inline and stay in situ.

The ones you are referring to there sound like they are probably captive backleads - these are attached to the pod by line, so that they come off on the strike.

Take a look at the following page for different examples:

http://www.fishing-direct.com/customer/home.php?cat=50

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Evening Polly

I just happen to own the pod and captive backlead system u are refering to. You attach a cross bar to the pod under the front buzz bars which has 3 or 4 quick release clips on with which u attatch the backlead cord to.The backlead itself has a gate release system exactly the same as fox's Mk2 Swinger's.

You make your cast then with the bailarm still open,pull the rod back over your head releasing enough line so you can grab your mainline.Attatch the backlead then let it slide down your line and onto the lakebed.

You can vary the length of the backlead cord to suit the depth of water infront of you and it stores neatly on a winder.

Excelent backlead system as it works off the angle of the line and not a tention clip :)

Hope this helps and not confuses u more :confused: :D:D

I think using backleads makes sense, pinning the line to the lake bed (contours permitting) so as not to spook the fish.

I tried ones similar to these

image.php?productid=251 for a while & just couldn't get on with them, which I think was a combination of finding them a bit off putting when winding in, fish on or not, plus I found 'em a bit too much fannying around, I like to keep it simple.

I now use the flying backleads Elton refers to above.

Costers put me onto them a while back & I think they're great.

Once on the line above your main lead you don't even know they are there, other than the small splash you see, some yards behind your terminal tackle, when you cast out.

Maybe they're not as effective as a clip on backlead, but I think they're a great compromise.

Thanks guys, think I get the idea. Pressumably flying leads are neater and quicker but must affect your cast and lead to tangles??????.

Which meathod is best, captive or flying. Captive sounds a tad messy and complicated to me. Struggling to see how lead can make its way down the line far enough, surely if you create slack line by pulling rod (bail arm open) over your head the lead would just sink to the bottom in the margins and not be able to slide out into the lake at all. Bit confused but better educated now, thanks again.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I had to use backleads last night for a totally different reason.

To stop all of the weed and crap floating on the surface from catching on my line.

After a while so much weed etc got caught and made a raft which started to drift in the tow and slowly dragged my rigs along the bottom.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Sorry Polly :D never read you post proper and probably never explained too clear as well.You only pull the rod back and release some slack line so u can attatch the back lead and then position the back lead where u want.

Dont know how far into the lake u want the backlead to go?

The captiv system has about 12ft of cord on them.This is to reduce the chance of a fish wiping out your other rods when u get it near the net.

Read this its easyier than reading my dribble :D:D They are a good piece of gear bud :)http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products....gue=1&section=1

[ 14. April 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: dazler ]