hook pulls

steve17

just recently iv been having a few runs resulting in some good hooked fish, which is a result in its own but at least 1/2 if not more of the fish i hook have been coming off during the fight usually after 20 seconds to a minute or so. not getting snapped off or straightened hooks jus' simply comin off.

lost a good fish yesterday, was the only bite all night and was gutted to lose what felt like a very good fish.

could this be due to my rigs or have others of you experienced similar happenings. thing that confuses me is that when the hook pulls its not been under any great tension nor slack either.

any ideas really apprechiated as i really need to stop this.

many thanks

steve.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, is there any weed in the bend of the hook after you have lost fish?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

cant say that iv noticed to be honest, quite likely though because there are weed beds and lilly pads in all of the swims iv lost fish in but arent being lost in these beds although the fish have often ran right through them.

[ 16. July 2005, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: steve17 ]

steve.

more to the point what hook pattern are you using, barbed? or barbless? and which rig do you lose fish on mostly? ie length of hooklink, length of hair? weight of lead? and is it line aligned or blow back style? popped up? are you tying the knotless knot or another form of knot to attach your hook? is the hook eye inturned? straight? or out turned?

Yes I know alot to consider but a correct set up for your lake Steve will obviously put more fish on the mat..

Hook pulls are really frustrating and mainly caused by the mechanics of your rig being not quite right for the situation.

I allways check the hookhold on every fish I catch, and examine the fishes mouth to see if the hook has moved in any way, there are several things you could do, let us know your end set up matey and I will try and help further?

[ 17. July 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

common, the rigs loosing fish are 8 - 10" braided hook lengths, using knotless knots and barbless size 8 esp raptors (short shank). i am using korda pear leads of 2oz and korda saftey clips holding them in place. hair length is a couple of mm longer than the baits im using, so they sit quite close to the hook. and i am using bottom baits.

will take a photo if thats any use?

[ 17. July 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: steve17 ]

steve.

A couple of thing I would change straight away there Steve, Firstly the length of hooklink I would shorten to 4 inch. and the weight of the pear lead increase to 4 oz, I would also change it to an inline flat pear if your not fishing into silt maybe just a tad increase on your hair length too,

Is the hook turning when you draw it along the back of your hand? line aligned, blow back?

[ 17. July 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

i dont know what you mean by line aligned and blow back, but the hook doesnt turn into my hand nor finger when dragging it over, simply slides across, havent managed to figure that out yet :( how does heavier leads and shorter hooklengths effect the hooking of a fish?

steve.

Common 40:

A couple of thing I would change straight away there Steve, Firstly the length of hooklink I would shorten to 4 inch. and the weight of the pear lead increase to 4 oz, I would also change it to an inline flat pear if your not fishing into silt maybe just a tad increase on your hair length too,

Common, I am not disputing what you have said, but can you qualify the changes that you have outlined above please?