Different quiver tips

Tim Kelly

I recently bought a Fox Challenger heavy feeder rod cheap off ebay and it came with three tips, a 3,4 and 5 oz rating. I'm a complete novice at this sort of fishing and went out on Sunday to try it out. It was very difficult with very few bites and only from tiny fish. Sometimes the maggots were slightly damaged (roach?) and I never saw any indication, so I was wondering if a lighter tip would help show these bites. Are they available as a spare part or are there universal tips you can buy and build to suit?

Tim

hi mate,

I know certain stores will make them for you out of there spears but as they are not built for that rod they wont be as good :(

I suggest going after somthing bigger with a rod like that :D

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Tim are fishing in a river or lake? How far where you cast out? what was the weight of the feeder etc etc etc. - just give me a rough idea what you where trying to do!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I suppose I was casting about 30-40 yards on Sunday, on a still water with a groundbait feeder which weighed about 1oz empty and I had the lightest tip (3oz) on. I was trying to see the titchy bites I must have been getting!

Tim

Yes your quivertip is a bit to high, idealy 1.5oz or 2oz quivertip will do. I suppose you can get away with a 3oz tip but to spot the bite will be really hard.

Another option is to get a quivertip board and you will see to spot the tinyest movement.

Sometimes the strike is very tiny and after several minutes of watching a thin tip your eyes will begin to play tricks on you. This is where the target board comes in. It can be used with swingtips or quivertips and it consists of a board on a stick placed as a background to the tip. Most anglers make up their own target boards by painting a piece of plastic or wood a dull color and putting in a series of parallel lines to act as reference points. When the tip moves there will be a steady background to watch instead of water or leaves. This is much kinder on the eyes. In addition the target board may serve as wind break for the tip and add to the sensitivity of the system.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Most of the tips avaiable can be interchanged .Some will require a little bit of work to make them fit.Just take your rod section down to a shop that either stocks them or if they dont have just try the tips from other rods and then get them to order the ones you require.

As for the strength of the quiver tip.In still water you will always be fishing for "pull round" bites as opposed to "drop backs" so a glass fibre tip in the lightest strength would be best.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!