telescopic spinning rod

phil dean

Harris used to offer some tele's and multi section rods but I've not tried them.

I used to have a DAM tele spinning rod that was OK for light lures but eventually split after one big fish to many.

I now use a 3 piece rod from Singapore for my light lures when travelling. It was cheap as chips but knoked spots of every tele on the market.

For chucking the big stuff, I use a StCroix Tidemaster. Expensive but definatly a quality piece of kit. If you don't mind paing for it, check out St Croix, but remember that but UK standards, they significantly underestimate the power of their rods.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a telescopic rod that went the distance. The mechanics of the join between sections are just not up to continual casting and the rod ring placement is a bit of a bodge, whether they be one fixed ring per section or fitted on sliding collars. For that reason teles will never be a popular choice and there appear to be less available today than there were ten years ago. That should tell you something. It takes about 5 minutes max to put together a multi-piece rod and stick a reel and lure on and I find that no hardship and the quality of most, makes them indistinguishable from a one/two piece outfit. Unless you want to be really pedantic. They'll hide away in a car boot and tuck away in a suitcase. If you dont have five minutes to spare and you must for some obscure reason have a rod all rigged and ready to go then fine. If want a cheapy for the kids to dangle off a harbour wall then thats fine too. But I find that they have little else going for them, certainly in comparison with a similar multi-piece rod.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I bought mine when I was living in Belgium and was not doing very much fishing at the time for various reasons. When things settled down and I started fishing again after a good few years break I replaced all my tackle with new stuff. The telescopic was after a few outings for old times sake used solely for holding a reel while winding new line onto a spool. I can not ever recall any problems with the rings moving and when I binned it they were all as shiny as the day I bought it.

I take the point about it only taking five minutes to tackle up a normal rod. But a telescopic only takes seconds and in a tight little spot it can be a lot easier to set up than a normal rod. If I could find a half decent modern equivalent then I would definitely be interested. But I would stress that I am very much one of that cruelly maligned breed known as the pleasure angler and therefore my needs are not as demanding as the more serious anglers.

A Hammond

I occasionally take myself too seriously Alan but never my tackle I'm a pleasure angler too, just can't see the point about telescopic rods. There WAS a point years ago when rods were made of glass and multiple-piece rods were not easy to make without feeling like either a snooker cue or a floppy stick, but carbon, kevlar, high modulus technology and all that stuff, changed things completely.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

i often take myself too seriousley, hence i'm a lawyer....... :D

alan made a good point about tackling up in a confined space, it is true that is one benefit of the telescopic, and yes, I know take aparts can fit in a suitcade, but will my wife allow them if I've also got to allow room for the 25 pairs fo shoes, 32 dresses, 15 different bras and 12 swimmong costumes a woman needs for your average weekend break. :D

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

argyll:

I occasionally take myself too seriously Alan but never my tackle I'm a pleasure angler too, just can't see the point about telescopic rods. There WAS a point years ago when rods were made of glass and multiple-piece rods were not easy to make without feeling like either a snooker cue or a floppy stick, but carbon, kevlar, high modulus technology and all that stuff, changed things completely.

I love the idea of a telescopic rod as they are easy to carry fully rigged through areas where a full length rod is an encumbrance. Whilst certain pegs or swims may have ample space, the routes to them if roving aren't necessarily as commodious.

Ease of portage alone justifies them.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

hi everybody.interesting discussion regarding telescopic rods. i think it is true to say that its only in the u.k that they are uncommon. they have a bad name from years ago that persists perhaps?as with everything else, quality standards improve with time.i have a few, i lure fish for bass, in an isolated spot, that involves scrambling up and down rocky slopes, through a pine forest.i carry a small rucksack on my back, with everything including the rod, reel and lure. made up but folded down inside.i can arrive at a spot and begin fishing with hardly any fuss or disturbance.i fancy a new shimano exage stc tele soon actually!got the specs in front of me.. the 1.8m folds down to just 55cm,casts from 5 to 20 grm, weighs 110grm, nice cork handle ,carbon of course!sounds o.k to me!

cheers dave. :)