Would you swim in your local river?

Anglers' Net

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no!!!

But I would and I would be very pleased to be able to swim in me local if someone could convince me it was perfectly safe.

My local is the River Medway.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

I think the public perception of water quality is probably worse than it is, but if it stops people swimming in my swim, I don't care!

I also think it's fair to say that many rivers are unsuitable for swimming for reasons other than water quality - powerful currents and underwater obstructions can be dangerous.

in the summer hundreds do ,tilford seems to be an inland beach

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest tigger

Tampax with wings, and the other sausage ones including the telescopic device for insertion are abundant in my local river plus most things you'd see on a tip so NO WAY would I even consider swimming in my local river. The ammount of discharge from several sewage works that I know of makes my skin crawl ! The EA should (to busy makin fancy lookin rod lisences to justify the cost of it) be ashamed of themselves, how the fish survive beats me :rolleyes:

Tampax with wings, and the other sausage ones including the telescopic device for insertion are abundant in my local river plus most things you'd see on a tip so NO WAY would I even consider swimming in my local river. The ammount of discharge from several sewage works that I know of makes my skin crawl ! The EA should (to busy makin fancy lookin rod lisences to justify the cost of it) be ashamed of themselves, how the fish survive beats me :rolleyes:

I often swim in the thames in the summer off the back of the boat and the dog normally comes to just make sure that she dont get to close as there doggy paddle stroke takes the skin off your back if you make the mistake of letting them ,Make sure you dont swallow the water and dont have a dip after drinking and dont see a problem myself Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest tigger
I often swim in the thames in the summer off the back of the boat and the dog normally comes to just make sure that she dont get to close as there doggy paddle stroke takes the skin off your back if you make the mistake of letting them ,Make sure you dont swallow the water and dont have a dip after drinking and dont see a problem myself Steve.

Steve belive me m8 you wouldn't go swimming in my local river, you really would be ill. I've often swam in rivers up the lake district where the water is relativley clean but my local river........it would be like swimming in a open sewer. If by accident you did swallow a tiny bit of water then you'd be advised to go for a stomach pump. The rivers nothing like the Thames in depth or width either most of it's only 2 to 4ft deep and 15 to 20 ft across. Under foot it's mud, clay and garbage. It's also full of debrie and junk like old motorbikes, glass and plastic bottles, tin cans, plastic bags, timber with nails sticking out allover etc.....it's just a no no for swimming in. That's why I said the EA should be ashamed of themselves, it really is a disgrace!

That's a shame, Tigger, what river is that? It sounds like the river I grew up closest to, the Tame (Mersey tributary), but that river has been cleaned up beyond recognition since I was a kid.

Steve belive me m8 you wouldn't go swimming in my local river, you really would be ill. I've often swam in rivers up the lake district where the water is relativley clean but my local river........it would be like swimming in a open sewer. If by accident you did swallow a tiny bit of water then you'd be advised to go for a stomach pump. The rivers nothing like the Thames in depth or width either most of it's only 2 to 4ft deep and 15 to 20 ft across. Under foot it's mud, clay and garbage. It's also full of debrie and junk like old motorbikes, glass and plastic bottles, tin cans, plastic bags, timber with nails sticking out allover etc.....it's just a no no for swimming in. That's why I said the EA should be ashamed of themselves, it really is a disgrace!

Tigger as i said wouldnt swallow thw water form the Thames either and to be honest it has to have been a bloody hot day for me totake the plunge but the dog will go in given half a chance however cold it is ,she then likes to sneak below decks and lay on the bed which goes down like a lead baloon with the girlfriend so to avoid the earache i keep her out of the river most of the time but realise that some rivers are better than others ,always go off the back of theboat as there is broken glass aplenty in some spots where there have been drunken BBQs [why do people have to do that break bottles i mean,Cuts the dogs feet to bits as well if you dont watch it] No fan of the EA myself at the moment for a variety of reasons Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: