Would you swim in your local river?

Anglers' Net

Downstream of Busby on the White Cart, no chance. There's Chromium Oxide (my favourite) and the usual condoms etc. to catch.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have swam a few times in my local river, not where I fish, but a good 10miles further upstream (upper welsh dee)

I have always assumed that its pretty clean, having come straight from mountains without passing through anything other than villages. Who knows what could be in there though :mellow:

I would be happy to swim in my local river (upper Aberdeenshire Dee) if it ever got warm enough up here <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I would swim out of it if I fell in one of the few places where simply wading out wouldn't be easier. Its very shallow.

Cleanliness wise I would have no worries, we used to spend the whole summer either in or by the edge of the 'beck'. When it's in flood swimming wouldn't be an option, it's the fastest in England.

These are shots of the same stretch.

cocker.jpg

cockerflood.jpg

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Bonny looking bit of water that Emma who controls the fishing??

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Bonny looking bit of water that Emma who controls the fishing??

Seriously, 'no-one' much, it's on what is called Cokermouth 'town water' residents can get a permit from the town hall. I dont think that anyone still bothers getting one, and no-one, so far as I know ever checks. Visitors can probably get a day ticket too. The EA bailiffs will of course do spot rod licence checking.

That was our playground, and was once worth fishing for brown trout, even in the early 90s it was ok, took a 4.5lber on an upstream muddler at night in the summer of 91'. This time of year we would fish it down with trad wets, like march browns, partridge and orange, snipe and purple etc, and delight in beautiful brownies up to 1lb, we learned to cast a fly along there.

It's sadly a shadow of what it was. the salmon and sea trout still run up through it, but the best beats are controlled by the local angling assn. That said, the bit shown at low water was where my late father caught his last ever fish, the river goddess gave up a salmon to him the last time he fished before dying.

Local knowledge is significantly useful. When your up at Isel again see if you can get to speak to Nigel Harris. Apart from the odd 'chuck in' for old times sake I have all but abandoned the river in favour of the lakes.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I occasionally swim in the Severn or Teme.

No ideal with the EA having to put in compensation water every weekend so that the bacterial load isn't to high for abstraction downstream but needs must on a hot day.

I am vary wary of obstructions though especially on the Teme where hop twine is a potential killer.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

As a kid we all used to swim in the Relief Channel in Norfolk, which went through our village. We used to climb down onto the bridge supports and jump in, it was great! I never had enough bottle to jump off the top of the railings, but the braver kids did :D

Every summer plenty of teenagers jump, dive and swim in my local bit of the Thames. I'm sure it's clean enough although I don't suppose you'd want to drink much of it. I'm too much of a boring old man these days though!

We used to go to a spot on the upper river Nar as kids too, which is a lovely, gravelly, clear and fast flowing trout stream. Very cold (and shallow) for swimming but we managed. It was there I found my first spinner (a Mepps). I found it attached to my foot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music