fisherman vs anglers

Phone

Fishing vs. Angling Phone’s views.

A fisherman is anyone who fishes for a living or for the moment is fishing for the pot. They are restrained by strict rules and regulations.

An angler is fishing all right, but only as a sportsman. The difference is that an angler is honorable to the truth as well as rules and regulations.

Fishermen are heavily regulated by laws. Anglers are sportsmen and more freely regulated by their well organized self awareness of what is “best” and what is the “truth” and less by laws. Sportsmen should freely and correctly argue what is “best” for their sport. It is this self regulating aspect of our endeavors as carp angling that keep us from being fishermen.

Just as with self awareness there may be differing claims on , “what constitutes truth? “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.”(Winston Churchill) For now “truth” should mean honesty, good faith, and sincerity; in general, we should try to agree with the facts or reality.

What is often assumed by anglers is - more is better, new beats old, high-tech out classes low, if it is published it is true - - - IMO this isn’t always so. I would say less than half of the angling information we receive is supported by adequate evidence.

Let me give you examples of some discussions I am having with an English lad. (he definitely has THE English perspective)

One, I contend “bronzed hooks” dissolve in 4 days (at 72 degrees f) and the “super doper” hooks popular now are, regardless of the percent, harmful to fish. Further, I contend a sharp bronzed hook is just as sharp as a “super doper” hook the FIRST cast. You’re just lazy, not changing or sharpening a bronzed hook. (For my part, I examine and change hooks if necessary every cast)

Two, I contend even the best of anglers in the world contributes to the death or near death of a carp on occasion. We, anglers, certainly don’t contribute to their longevity. (I especially hate lengthy photo sessions)

Three, carp are just fish.

And, what "chaps" (do you know this word?) him the worst. I say by not admitting the “truth” he becomes a fisherman.

He catagorically disagrees, how should I proceed? (Phone always knows he is right??)

Phone

PS: I shall be fishing a tournament until March 31 then I'll be back. Don’t be shy, jump right on this one, I am old and crusty.

Peter,

In print format and from several thousand miles it is difficult to distinguish the difference for the majority of guys on AnglersNet, "anglers" from "fishermen". In the US we have commercial carp fishermen. I once had license to harvest carp (rough fish) on the Mississippi River water shead. My limit was 50 tons annually. I was not governed by any "gentlemans" notion of "proper" angling - I was a fisherman.

I went to length to get the opinions of UK fishermen as "anglers".

Phone

Curious, how DO you distinguish the differences?

Angler is the noun and fishing is the verb.

I am an angler and I go fishing.

I can't imagine the response that I would get if I phoned one of my mates and said "shall we go angling this weekend"?

(actually, I can imagine the response that I would get :rolleyes: )

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Phone - a write-up with photos after the Austin trip would be greatly appreciated.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Angler is the noun and fishing is the verb.

I am an angler and I go fishing.

I can't imagine the response that I would get if I phoned one of my mates and said "shall we go angling this weekend"?

(actually, I can imagine the response that I would get :rolleyes: )

Sportsman, be comfortable with one's femininity :D

A fisherman catches as much as possible, kills them and sells or eats them.

An angler catches very little, returns them, and always ends up out of pocket.

But, yes, I go fishing, not angling :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Newt,

I will give it a try. Maybe I can get some of the guys that catch fish to give me a photo or two.

This is always a wonderful torunament of about 70 "anglers". Very proper format. Rules require all the formalities of the World Championships.

All,

This is turning into an "odd" thread.

Phone