tips on winter fishing

raz2003

Are we talking carp fishing raz????

If so,i wouldn,t be too despondent,it is the slowest time of the year,plus you have to take into account the type of water you are fishing,head for heavily overstocked "pastie" waters this time of year for the best chance of getting your stick bent. :)

With regards to winter fishing the only real thing i find a good bet is the WIND.

Just like any other time of year.

If it's a cold wind, fish at the back of it where it's calmer, or on the sheltered side of an island.

If it's a warm wind. Fish with it in your face, and you'll usually find a fish or two in the shallows.

Also, in a warm wind the fish 'should' move into the upper layers of the water, as this will warm up quickly.

Can't really help you out any more. :P

I think winter fishing for carp is great. Few people on the banks to take up swims. I can be quite productive if you do the right things.

1. I use NO LOOSE FEED. Sounds silly but it works!

2. A really smelly hook bait (meat soaked in CLS is my personal favourite)

3. Fish in deep water towards the centre of the pond.

I went a few days ago and had 3 carp in 8 hours.

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

I agree with Joe and suggest you try an easy water like a commercial fishery. Gravel pits can often be very hard in winter.

Location is still important but on many commercial waters the carp will show themselves even in cold water. Surprisingly few anglers move if the the fish are crashing out at the other end of the lake! Indeed it can pay to hold off choosing a swim for a while and wait for a carp or two to top.

Depth is irrelevant and the carp can come from the shallows, the deeps or anywhere in between. However, there are still hotspots within a given swim so bait placement can be important. I find that twitching a bait back every so often can often be productive.

As I've mentioned in previous topics I don't carp fish in winter but I do catch quite a few unwanted carp on both worms and deadbaits when after perch. However I've found that the carp are very much more of a nuisance if I'm fishing midwater. It's interesting that out on a boat on big waters like gravel pits and reservoirs friends and I often spot carp well off the bottom.

The moral is obvious of course. Fish at least one bait not just popped up but in midwater.

[ 21. January 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net