One on the dry fly

Alan Roe

A nice day spent on the river. This beauty really went some!

april09072.jpg

Don't worry it went back unharmed :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Very nice, Alan, I bet that pulled your string a bit!

Today, Anderoo and I have been catching and releasing great big chunky Farmoor rainbows, on buzzers. I thought I had my heavier rod in the boot of my car. I did not - I had to use my new Sonik #3/4. I struggled all day for distance, but it was almost worth the hardship for the hilarity of what 4lb rainbows do to it!

It certainly did it was as fit as a butchers dog! I had a few merry moments before it was landed here's another pic same fish different view gives a better perspective of scale.

april09070.jpg

The rod is my sonic #3-4 weight superb dry fly rod how are you getting on with yours Steve?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Not bad, now get yourself back and get one of the big ones! It is amazing that that club think that water needs stocking. If that isn't a truly wild fish it is an overwintered fish.

Something had to start going right after the disaster that you began with! (I'll put the details in my blog Monday) It seems the demon jumped from you to me. After that session I was just setting up camp when work phoned and I had to traipse all the way back home. Just about to set out again. See you in Haws later Al.

The grannom hatch is now well under way. Today should be the big hatch and they'll be done by next week. As Alan proved, a bushy size 12 or 14 will get the job done nicely. Alan did see some mayfly's coming off. They are very early but it looks like I'd better get to tying WWWW's (Wally Winged Weir Wulff's).

Right back to the fishing.

Well done Al.

Cheers,

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

The rod is my sonic #3-4 weight superb dry fly rod how are you getting on with yours Steve?

It's very nice, Alan, I'm delighted with it. Good advice, that! It's only had one trip to the river so far (and we didn't see any fish that day), so being pressed into service yesterday as a reservoir rod was the first time I've had fish on it. For such a delicate little rod, it did surprisingly well with fish that were bending it to the butt - I think it's proven itself more than capable of handling anything I'm likely to come across in the little rivers!

I think my longer, heavier rod would definitely have made my life easier yesterday, but the little one was certainly a lot of fun - when I opened the boot and found only one rod I seriously thought about driving the hour home to pick up the right rod, but actually I think I made the right decision to persevere with the little one.

april09070.jpg

That's a very pretty fish.

Edited by Steve Walker

Nice looking fish there Alan, well done :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

The complete story is now available here. In all its terribleness.

Cheers

OT

What a great looking fish, Alan. Made for photographing, that one :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Great stuff Alan, one of the best looking trout I've ever seen!

Steady on there, yes its a good fish but please if you carry on like this he'll be impossible to fish with! ;)