Hook length materials

Polly

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just retied some hook lengths and opted for some of my big spool of Daiwa Sensor 10 and 8lb, testing the D rig out with it as well, got it to work quite well with the Sensor mono :)

James

Old School - Black Anmesia for me.

I wouldn't touch any Fluro', even if you payed me, spit, spit.

I really don't like the stuff, I've experienced problems and heard of far too many horror stories to ever want to use it again.

My own 'scientific' research proved how bad it was.

[ 15. May 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Yep Gaffer, back to the amnesia for me....very dissapointed with the clear shrink tube, it held tiny air bubbles and looked like silver thread after about 15 mins in my pond...so back to the drawing board.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Gaffer:

Old School - Black Anmesia for me.        

I wouldn't touch any Fluro', even if you payed me, spit, spit.  

I really don't like the stuff, I've experienced problems and heard of far too many horror stories to ever want to use it again.  

My own 'scientific' research proved how bad it was.

Please let us in on problems, horror stories etc.

I use ESP Ghost fluro and have never had any problems.

What is your 'scientific' research?

I am very interested as the majority of my fish fall to a rig incorporating a two to three inch fluro hook length.

Ps : I use amnesia for my sea fishing hooklengths but have never tried for carp/coarse rigs.

Why 'Black' amnesia?

[ 17. May 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Following 2 failed sessions where I had multiple runs on during both sessions but no banked fish I changed from using the ultra supple fox reflex to the stiff suffix steath skin, combined with a size 6 mugga hook I landed every run I had (3 fish in 5 hours, biggest 11.5lb)

So I wont be going back to the supple stuff again.

As for fluro, I use it all the time in my hooklengths for float fishing, up to 6lb, I also use it for surface fishing for carp and for my fly leader, ive had no problems with it, and have heard no horror stories, and ill be interested to hear any.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

just bought a spool of each of these, Fox Insider and Mask. It looks pretty good but yet to tie any rigs with it. Any help appreciated. I'm looking to fish using 20mm Hutchie boilies in a mature 4 acre gravel pit which averages 13-14' deep. It's not tooooooo heavily fished but is currently receiving a tad to much attention for my liking. I'm in no rush to wet a line as I know it'll quieten down after 16th June when all the syndicate boys are allowed back on their own lakes. Anyway back to stiff rigs, any help and clues would be great, got one or two ideas myself which I'm gonna trial but a few tried and trusted rigs to get me started won't go-a-miss.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

RUDD:

Please let us in on problems, horror stories etc....

...What is your 'scientific' research?

Firstly, I used the term 'scientific' research a bit tongue in cheek. I'm not a scientist my any stretch of th means. However, I do work in optics (contact lenses) and have access to some expensive state-of-the-art research equipment, scopes, refractometers, etc.

Flurocarbons have very poor abrasion resistance and not only break very easily, but can also de-laminate.

I, as well as many good fishermen friends of mine, have lost fish due to Fluro' breakages, for no other reason than material failure.

Fluro's also scratch very, very easily. In the long term all mono lines will become scratched due to their use, but none more so than Fluro's.

These micro-scratches raise the refractive index of the line and the line becomes highly visible, especially in clear water and with the sun shining on to it.

The micro-scratches become loaded with dirt, sediment, etc, and also become very visible, even in clear water with low light.

I've seen these amazing 'invisible' Flurocarbon lines stand out like a sore thumb!

IMO Fluro's pick up a lot more micro-scratches (and a lot quicker) than normal mono's which will make their light refraction horrendous, which kinda defeats the object of Fluro's really!

So why use a hooklink material that doen't do what it says on the packet and is also very fragile (in my experience and opinion)?

Fluro's are way off from having the same refractive index of water, and that's straight from the packet, without even sustaining micro-scratches, which will make them a hell of a lot worse!

In my experience and opinion, the cons out way the pros with Fluro's, so I choose not to use it. Like all things carpin', it's all about 'risk factors', and for me Fluro's ain't worth the risk.

Cheers for the info Gaffer, wonder why no tackle companies advertise this fact through their media lackeys???????

Looks like the amnesia may be making a trip from the sea to the carp box!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!