Pod or Sticks????

Polly

Got a Fox Warrior pod and thinking about upgrading to a Quattro which will hopefully be more stable (Warrior wobbles like hell even on flat ground and tilts when one rod is lifted). But have just read article on here by Garth Barnard which has made me think twice about merits of using a pod. He says better to use separate bank sticks for each rod so that you can then point the rod tip directly at your bait so creating a striaght line from hook to alarm. This will obviously offer less resistance than fishing with bait at an angle to rod. Anyone agree or got views that may save me spending £98!!!

Also does anyone use the Fox Pod anchors (£7 is a pair)and if so how good are they at securing wobbly pods. Seriously worried about using my Warrior because I fear a powerful take from a carp might result in the whole lot getting dragged in. All insured but it's the carp's welfare connected to the other end that bothers me.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends I spose where you will be spending your time fishing, Bank sticks are prob best if the bank allows you to shove them in? I have had more bent sticks than I care to mention due to the top inch or so grass or wood shavings, then about 6 inch of hardcore beneath, I think pods are an individual thing, but I wouldn't go fishing without mine Fox anchors are fine, again if you can get the pegs firmly in the ground, allthough if you are on a wooden staging you can screw them in.. Quattro good choice, also the fox stalker is a sturdy pod almost half the price??

[ 10. February 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

I definitely agree with Garth - banksticks are much better. In fact pods can cost you fish! Unless you point the rod at the bait small pulls or dropbacks may not even show up. Secondly, there's no resistance from the rod top when you get a take.

On the other hand there are places where pods are handy, for instance concrete banks, or solid platforms over deep water. At Wingham I've made sure that all the platforms now have slats for banksticks/umbrellas.

Other alternatives on concrete banks include blocks of wood for each bankstick but these are difficult to transport. Better are tripods for each bankstick.

I've tried dozens of different models of banksticks over the years. Most are poor on gravel and many bend after a few outings. However, I've finally found one that I'm happy with. See my field test at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/king01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I agree with Common, a lot depends on where you're going to be fishing. If you're on gravel, concrete, etc then most banksticks won't go in so i find my pod invaluable. If, however, you've got a soft surface then use the banksticks as you can point your rod straight at your bait as Garth says.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Steve, how can pods cost you fish? I have been carp fishing over 30 years and never known a small pull or dropback you mention that I have missed due to fishing off my pod? my set up is so sensitive that if a fish sneezes near my bait I would know.. If I have lost any fish with my set up Then so be it tough! I have also fished with bank sticks for many years with monkey climbers etc. But who will tell me thats why I missed a bite?? I am well comfortable with a pod ( as I said earlier its an individual taste in my oppinon) and forget the tackle tart crap, which may come to mind to alot of anglers! I am sure if you feel happy and confident at the bank side with whatever gear you have you will succeed

[ 11. February 2005, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

I prefer to use sticks for all other species than carp.Much better for placing the rod in the right position and pointing at the desired angle or direction for the rig.Most other species will not tolerate resistance like carp will.For awkward banks I will do as Steve says and go to whatever measures are required to still use individual sticks.

For carp however and I suppose in all fairness some situations where Iam targeting tench and bream with carp like tactics then I find pods/goal posts or whatever system you use to suport your buzzer bars (cause thats what we are really talking about here isnt it) quite handy.

I do however find some swims are better suited to sticks even when carping.Never really liked this buisness of having the line comming of your tip at big angles.As indeed you have to have when using a bar in some situations.

Horses for courses really.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If the pods set right there will be no big angles I have had my pod out in the water 3 foot from the bank to counteract. the match boys use quiver tips at accute angles and stare at their tips for hours do they miss fish?

[ 11. February 2005, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Polly:

Got a Fox Warrior pod and thinking about upgrading to a Quattro which will hopefully be more stable (Warrior wobbles like hell even on flat ground and tilts when one rod is lifted). But have just read article on here by Garth Barnard which has made me think twice about merits of using a pod. He says better to use separate bank sticks for each rod so that you can then point the rod tip directly at your bait so creating a striaght line from hook to alarm. This will obviously offer less resistance than fishing with bait at an angle to rod. Anyone agree or got views that may save me spending £98!!!

Also does anyone use the Fox Pod anchors (£7 is a pair)and if so how good are they at securing wobbly pods. Seriously worried about using my Warrior because I fear a powerful take from a carp might result in the whole lot getting dragged in. All insured but it's the carp's welfare connected to the other end that bothers me.

Polly think about it? If we were worried about resistance from hook to alarm then why do we use a bolt rig ? surely when the prize is pricked you need all the resistance you can get to set the hook?? unless we are striking for the silver fish? then I agree.

[ 11. February 2005, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Common 40:

If the pods set right there will be no big angles

What if you are fishing a bait in the margin? then the line would be at 90 degrees to the tip of a rod on a pod/buzzer bar.No matter if it was left or right or under the tip even for that matter!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!