1.75lb test curve

J.K

hiya,

would the barbel rod I have rated at 1.75lb test curve be suitable for the ocasinal carp session?

I use 10lb line and it seems to keep the barbel at bay.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

My carp fishing when done is always done with 1.75lb rods as I only ever do short to medium range fishing. 2oz leads are no problem punched out upto 60 yards with ease. I also use these for Tench and big bream fishing. Mind you no good for fishing close to snags or in heavily weeded waters

Paul

I'll echoe whats been said....

Just a casting issue. Modern Carbon Fibre rods take some snapping, and nothing swimming in British waters would come close to snapping one!!

All rods stop bending at a certain point so they *can* stop a fish heading to snags, but there is a little loss of control in tight situations.

8-10IB line with 1 12 to 2IB TC is ideal, and beautiful playing 20 plus Carp on. In fact it is far more advantagous than these poker sticks.

Some of the junk you hear regarding rods is unbelievable.

Yup. No need for a broomstick rod in most cases.

I have caught channel catfish (great fighters) to nearly 30lbs in a river with plenty of current on 1.75 T/C rods and not had a rod give up on me.

If you decide to fish India and fast rivers for some of their monster fish, you'll need to go a bit heavier but otherwise, the rod T/C you need will be based on how much weight you need to cast and how far you need to cast it. 6oz to 130 yards and you need lots of rod. I routinely wack out 2oz leads plus bait to good distances with 1.75 rods. I do cheat a little and use a 50lb PowerPro mainline though. Diameter is about 12 lb mono but lots stronger line so no shockleader needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President