2 rods

The Flying Tench

This will seem a very basic question to those who do a lot of 2 rod fishing. I normally only fish one rod, but I started off last night with two rods, both quiver tip. It was very difficult to set them up where I could watch both at the same time and also not get them entangled.

Of course I see many carp anglers with bobbins, and they have no great problems. I was fishing for medium sized bream, but I am really asking this as a general question. Would I be right in saying that for general fishing, not just carp, if you are using two rods a bobbin is normally the best way?

john clarke

Guest Chris Perch

I would prefer to use bobbins though they would need to be light if fishing a running set up and heavier for semi fixed leads.

This will seem a very basic question to those who do a lot of 2 rod fishing. I normally only fish one rod, but I started off last night with two rods, both quiver tip. It was very difficult to set them up where I could watch both at the same time and also not get them entangled.

Of course I see many carp anglers with bobbins, and they have no great problems. I was fishing for medium sized bream, but I am really asking this as a general question. Would I be right in saying that for general fishing, not just carp, if you are using two rods a bobbin is normally the best way?

I spend a lot of time watching two tips when I'm fishing on the river for chub and barbel, but it would be bobbins with alarms for me if i was big bream fishing on a still water.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I spend many hours watching 2 tip rods.

On a flowing river i fish with rods held high. I also tend to do this on stillwaters if they are deep enough and its not too windy.

On a shallow water when fishing at distance the line is out of the water from rod top to lake so wind catches it easily. On a deep water this is not so much a problem.

When fishing like this I use 2 identical rods so the tips can be close and easily watched.

If I fish rods down low due to wind problems I usually use 2 slightly different length rods. I have them side by side along the bank and then the lines are apart but you can watch both tips easily.

I love fishing 2 tip rods you can use different baits and tactics and experiment so much better whilst leaving one rod with what bait is catching most fish on the day.

regards

john

First I think you have to consider if you need to use two rods.

If the water is well stocked, or you have found the shoal, and bites are coming regularly, then I think that using more than one rod can be a hindrance. Where with one rod you can watch a bite develop, (especially with bream). Two rods can leave you undecided when a tap on one rod is followed by a 'pull round' on the other. Add to this line bites, and there's a good chance you will miss more than you catch.

If you are searching for the bream, expecting few bites, and want to try different baits, then I would probably use a bobbin type indicator.

Even then if I found the fish and started getting bites more regularly, then I would switch to one rod.

This is my way, and I don't use 'bolt rigs'. With a 'free' running rig, I prefer to use a quiver or swing tip for 'general' bream fishing, on the waters I know.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The use of 2 rods is beneficial (if not virtually essential!) on some waters where you need to hedge your bets and fish different areas. More often that not, 1 spot way out fishes the other, but you wouldn't have known that with a single rod. But a lot of the time, as John says, one rod is all you need. It depends on the situation.

If fishing with the quivertips up in the air (e.g. on a river) adjust your chair so you are naturally looking in their direction. Sitting bolt upright but looking upwards hurts after not very long.

On stillwater, the best way I've found to use 2 quivertip rods is to have the tips close together but the rods at different heights, so the one nearest the water is slightly higher. That way you can strike without catching the other one, no matter which rod it is. I do find it hard trying to watch 2 quivertips though, so if I'm legering and want to use more than 1 rod, I'll usually use bobbins.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I prefer to use a quiver or swing tip for 'general' bream fishing, on the waters I know.

John.

I think the swing tip will always be number 1 for me when general bream fishing. I haven't use one for a couple of year so i might dig it out and give it a go in the next week or two and post some pic's as its very under used by anglers these days.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If I'm fishing two rods, I always use a bobbin as it is easier to watch.

In terms of efficiency, I used to use a quiver tip for almost everything, but over the last year have a real liking for the swing tip - particularly when tench or bream fishing.....not that I have had many big 'uns to write home about.

If I'm fishing 1 rod, then its a quiver / swing tip. If I'm fishing two rods, it's always a bobbin and accepting the lack of subtlety.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine