28 days for having a fishing knife

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think ....

" I was carrying it in the Town Centre (and brandishing) cuts much ice with late night Swat Squads .... whether a fisherman or not!".

In a tackle box and kept sheathed and used 'for relevant porpoises' is probably OK!

B)

I have on occasion had cause to carry knives from point A to point B but I've never felt the need to "brandish" them. The reference to it being a "fishing" knife seems entirely irrelevant and the man got what was comming to him......

Peacock was sentenced to 28 weeks in prison, suspended for 28 weeks

or rather he didn't - he walked free from court.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Stephanie Donington, prosecuting, said it is not suggested Peacock was the man who was brandishing the knife, but the police decided to carry out a stop and search in the area

If Peacock is telling the truth, it would seem to me that he has been treated harshly, and now has an undeserved criminal record. On the other hand, his story does not ring true to me, and I wonder if he was "known to the police"? A 51 year old seems an odd target for a stop and search.

I also wonder if he made a mistake in representing himself - the law concerning knives is one of those areas where the burden of proof is shifted from the prosecution to the defence, and you have to prove that you had good reason to be carrying it. From what was reported in that case, it would seem that the summing up left the jury with no choice but to convict. I think it's possible that a good brief would have advised him to plead guilty and angle for an absolute discharge, a solution courts seem happy to use where the knife law seems to be an ass.

Good news indeed, too many people carrying knives today hope it acts as a deterrent to others.

What's wrong with carrying a knife?

I can't remember a time when I was outside my house and not had a knife in my pocket except when I had to spend time on a commercial airplane.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

I to ask that same question! Although we are not in England, it would seem strange to me that a Pocket Knife was justification for a Fine or Imprisonment! What is the LAW on this subject?

HOPPY4

HOPPY

You can legally carry a folding knife without a locking blade with an edge of less than 3 inches in a public place, anything with a longer edge, a locking or fixed blade and you can carry one but must have a legitimate reason for doing so (i.e a chef carrying his knives to and from his place of work is an often cited reason) balisong knives(butterfly knives), gravity knives, flick knives push daggers and disguised weapons are illegal in the UK.

I think steve walker is right though a 51 year old does seem an unusual target for a stop & search and there may be more to this case than has been reported.

Edited by snakey1

You may carry a folding pocket knife with a blade shorter than 3 inches.

You may carry other sorts of knife (for instance a filleting or hunting knife) if you can demonstrate good reason. Good reason might be that you are a chef, or on a fishing trip or that your religion requires you to carry it.

You may not carry certain types of knife at all - these are categorised as offensive weapons, and include flick knives, butterfly knives and disguised knives.

Edit: beat me to it!

Edited by Steve Walker