BBC - OUT OF ORDER

RUDD

The BBC has a duty to present a balanced view. True. But this particular offender WAS given the opportunity to participate in the programme - he declined to do so unless he was paid.

And besides, what can he tell us that was not fully explored and covered in court?

The BBC should be roundly condemned for their decision to pay him.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the newspapers made folk heroes out of the Krays and the train robbers does not condone the BBC's dealings with Brendan Fearon. It doesnt make it OK in my book. Two or three wrongs still dont make a right. Giving any crook a reward for simply being a crook, is simply offensive. Forget what the BBCs brief is on paper, since when has the BBC sought to present balanced views ? Its always been a hotbed of politics, veering either side of centre in line with whatever Board of Governors and CEO is in charge. From March 2nd the Board was abolished because of its anti-government stance over Iraq. Probably too late to have any influence on the choice of paying Brendan Fearon.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Peter Waller:

Tony Martin, the patron saint of common decency.

In my opinion defending your property is one thing, shooting someone in the back is another, he is NO saint and deserves no more attention or money than Brendan Fearon. However the fact that we are debating this point and opinions run high about the rights and wrongs of the case means the Beeb is justified in making a programme about it. We live in a compensation culture, society mouths of about it being wrong but as individuals we claim for a new carpet when the cat fouls it or when we trip over on a cracked pavement. So what do we expect? he sees an opportunity and takes it. What would be justice would be taking the money off him to pay back legal aid or better still his victims.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

i'm sick and tired of the bbc's advertising ,any holiday program is blatent advertising as is these mentions of companies in the news etc ,house relocation progs ,some git apearing on the telly (and the only time you see them) on breakfast shows advertising their book or new film/album ,cinema programs are advertising as is telling us whats on next on the bbc or whats coming next week ,wine progs ,cooking progs ,car bluddy booty shows etc etc :mad:

tony martins defence lawyers were rubbish ,if it was dark how did martin know the scums back was turned and crime certainly pays how many books did that authour??? chap write whilst in knick

[ 05. March 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well if it was that dark how come he managed to shoot them anyway?! It cant have been too dark or they wouldnt have found the way out either?!

Anyway how often is it that dark that you cant see a thing. Like it or not he was found guilty, just as the buglars were.

As for adverising on the Beeb, I'm with you on that one!

Dan

I don't think I ever saw Tony Martin as a saint. There was a recent debate on this forum about how you'd treat a burglar if you found one in your house. What actually happens next is most probably completely different to the way you planned it. Consider Tony Martin's situation. Alone in the house at night and not for the first time someone breaks in. You have a gun, pandemonium breaks out, you fire your gun and suddenly someone is dead. No forethought, no planned execution, just a gut reaction. Tony Martin probably fired out of a mixture of fear and rage. I think my reaction would sadly be similar, although I tell myself it would be more rational. The one time that a burglar came into my life I telephoned the police, but the would-be burglar was still on the outside of my house and posed no immediate threat, so I had time to think. Had I met him on the stairs it would have been different. Got a short fuse and no time for people that invade my home. Besides I also have no idea whether these people are burglars, potential rapists or Charlie Manson fans and I wouldn't hang around to find out.

How do I see Tony Martin? Just an ordinary guy that found himself in extraordinary circumstances and got caught up in a burglary that went sadly wrong. I feel sympathy for the man. Had he done the same thing in a dozen countries in Europe he probably would have escaped a prison sentence but it happened in this country and the justice system needed a scapegoat to suggest that their efforts to control gun crime was working and also operating on a level playing field. Of the three, Tony Martin was the real victim. He had no criminal record and from that I must assume that he was basically an honest person just trying to earn a living and survive like the rest of us. He paid the price for something he was goaded into doing on the spur of the moment. Not so Brendan Fearon or the lad who died. They had a history of crime, 62 offences on their record and probably twice as many again that they got clean away with. I dont think society will miss either of them, because for sure Brendan Fearon will meet a sticky end one day. They inevitably always do.

I have to admit to not having read the whole transcript but this was reported in the press:

"The court heard that Martin, who had a vitriolic hatred for burglars and Gypsies, had come downstairs with a pump-action Winchester shotgun and fired at the two men.

Barras had pleaded for his life, shouting: "I'm sorry. Please don't. Mum." In panic, Fearon, who was seriously injured, pulled out a rotten window and he and Barras jumped through. It was not until the next afternoon that the teenage boy's body was found".

It didnt sound like an on spur self defence action to the jury and they found him guilty.

Dan

I hardly think Tony Martin was looking for gypsies to kill in his own house, or do you think it might have been a trap.

Either way, the government were so twitchy about whether they had got it right or whether they had kissed the next general election goodbye that they let Tony Martin go, after just three years. In so far as a murder charge is concerned, thats a mere slap on the legs. You can get more than that these days for embezzlement.

Re good old incorruptable Auntie Beeb. The Times have reported that Tony Martin has pulled out of the show {I use the word loosely) on learning that the producer had planned an on-camera surprise confrontation with Brendan Fearon. That sounds a lot less like an attempt to out the truth, and more like mere sensationalism.

[ 06. March 2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]