Ford Explorer or Toyota Surf?

Sportsman

jeepster, how are you getting on with your Ford Explorer?

After my wifes rather heavy parking episode we have bought her a Volvo V70 estate but I am going to treat myself and it will either be a Toyota Surf or a Ford Explorer

Who has had what and what do you think

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i absolutely love the explorer, it gets better fuel economy than the jeep it replaced, it's quiet, smooth, fast, capable off road, and i can carry four passengers and lots of luggage easily.

i've nearly bought a surf a few times over the years, but one thing thats put me off is that they always look slightly old and tired, no matter what the year. i think thats quite common with jap cars, they dont age well!

i think for the money, you cant beat the explorer,

i took mine to a mate who's a mechanic, and he says it doesnt look too hard to work on, and all the parts are easily available, maybe not the cheapest car to run, but don't let that put you off!

PM me if you have any questions!

Hello Sportsman ihave a surf and must say it is a fantastic motor,but watch what you buy,the 2.4 version has a bad cylinder head(i had to replace mine)and fuel consumption is poor,but so are most 4x4s.Parts are not a problem and neither is insurance(£230 fully comp,Prestige motor insurance).Expect to pay £3500_£4000 for a K plate 2.4 surf.happy motoring.Regards Kevin.

skippy:

Many back street garages are able to "plug in" to the Ford Computer system for diagnostics these days and this can keep repair bills down - with a Surf your going to have to pay main dealer prices for everything.

tis true, my 'check engine' light came on the other day, and instead of taking it to the main dealer who charge approx £50 + VAT to plug you into the diagnostic machine, my mate at the local garage did it for free, told me the fault, and i fixed it myself for nothing!

Have to say the Explorer is looking good value. Going to look at an R reg with 47000 at £3850. All the bells and whistles and described as immaculate. Anyone know what a LPG conversion costs?

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

about 1500 - 2000 if you're going to do it, do it the day you buy the vehicle, otherwise you'll put it off and put it off (like i did with the jeep and i am now doing with the explorer!)

I have owned a 3.0 turbo diesel Surf for 3 years and its probably the best value for money, I have ever spent on a vehicle.

All repairs/servicing is carried out by my local Garage and all spares are available from Toyota (or more cheaply online, from Milner Off Road).

I can't comment on the Ford Explorer as I have never driven one.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I took a Surf from just north of Edinburgh to Birmingham and back about 7 years ago and it cost me £110 in diesel Great car to drive though. I did fancy an Explorer, but seem to stick with Mondeo's

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!