Recommendations for new scales

tiddlertamer

I have used the Avons since the mid 70's and have always been able to trust them, I check them each season and can rely on them.

This year I was bought a pair of Fox digitals, they seemed very accurate so I gave my Avons to my son, but I think I am going to regret it as I have read loads of reports about faulty digi's wieghing low weights innacurately and giving different readings depending how fresh the batteries are.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since i read all the negative sentiment regarding the fox digi scales I've been so worried that the scales I own are a complete waste of time, however I have spent the last 6 months testing them all the time and I've found them to be absolutely perfect with no variation in their accuracy.

I do wonder if some people have perhaps treated them a bit roughly as the fox scales I own I have complete confidence in.

Just need to actually catch the PB to weigh now! Roll on you 2lb Roach

As I've said here before, the Reuben Heaton Weighmaster Flyweight Mk 2 Scales that I have are light, a handy size, accurate (matching our kitchen scales exactly)...but are not very well built.

I have had to make three modifications to get my scales useable. Without the mods the scales would ocasional jump at least 2lbs (at a time) rendering them completely useless. Not the end of the world, and the mods are quick and easy, but just a word of warning.

Geoff

I'd recommend NOT buying Fox digital scales...I am very unhappy with mine.

Can you believe they don't have on off switch?.....They also have to be returned to Fox each year for calibration - who knows at what cost and how long turn round might be?

Oh yes..they dont like working in rain either!

steer clear....

<')Andy<

Guest tigger
As I've said here before, the Reuben Heaton Weighmaster Flyweight Mk 2 Scales that I have are light, a handy size, accurate (matching our kitchen scales exactly)...but are not very well built.

I have had to make three modifications to get my scales useable. Without the mods the scales would ocasional jump at least 2lbs (at a time) rendering them completely useless. Not the end of the world, and the mods are quick and easy, but just a word of warning.

If I got a pair of scales and they where like those I'd just take em back rather than start fiddlin with em. I actually think the Reuban heaton scales are quite good uns .........I'm not sure but arn't weigh master made by Reubhan heaton ? I think If I had to have another set of mechanicle ones I'd got for a set of the weigh masters as they seem accurate, are small and light and don't break the bank to buy.

If I got a pair of scales and they where like those I'd just take em back rather than start fiddlin with em. I actually think the Reuban heaton scales are quite good uns .........I'm not sure but arn't weigh master made by Reubhan heaton ? I think If I had to have another set of mechanicle ones I'd got for a set of the weigh masters as they seem accurate, are small and light and don't break the bank to buy.

Well, I had to take them apart to fix the first fault (needle fell off!), so warranty already invalidated. Little did I know more problems would follow.

Geoff

I'd recommend NOT buying Fox digital scales...I am very unhappy with mine.

Can you believe they don't have on off switch?.....They also have to be returned to Fox each year for calibration - who knows at what cost and how long turn round might be?

Oh yes..they dont like working in rain either!

steer clear....

<')Andy<

Andy, I have been bought the Fox Stalker scales and they now have an on/off switch so hopefully they have improved.

I hope so because I caught my first 20 plus Carp last night (21lb 4oz) and weighed it using the Fox digitals. I also prefer the Avons which Ive used since the late 70s but like you I don't trust the Foxs yet as I have heard so many bad experiences like yours.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Glyn had a good story regarding the Fox digis when he caught his recent double figure tench...

Not to be trusted! If he'd weighed that fish on just those scales, he'd have missed the all-important double by a few vital ounces. (Add those couple of ounces to the 5 ounces that the fish was over 10lb, and you're almost half a pound out, with absolutely no way of knowing.) Luckily, other sets of scales were available.

Me and Rich checked our battered old Avons against each other at the weekend, and they were accurate to within half an ounce.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ah, but how do you know the others were acurate ? :) I have a set of digis, about 10/11 years old. Certified accurate by the makers, and only on the 3rd change of battery...this only because I choose to change them. Checked at least once a year against my local supermarket scales :) :)

But..............you do have to let them "settle" Cost me £140 when new!

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Im a confirmed user of Avon scales. My one argument (and it sways my choice 100%) is that if I ever catch a fish and want to ensure an exact weight I can get the scales checked.If they are out at all the "correct" weight can be calculated using the weight recorded at the time and the correction required when the scales are checked.

As Im lead to believe that on SOME digital scales the reading can be affected by the battery level then even if proved to be inacurate upon testing you cant work out what the true weight would have been.

All scales both mechanical and didital apear to be capable of having poor accuracy areas in the range they cover so once again being able to find a true weight when needed is very important to me.

All the above said though I wonder why half the anglers I see (who dont zero the scales,forget to allow/subtract the weight of the sling etc etc) worry about scale accuracey anyway!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!