London Explosions

Tony U

Just got back from work, the City is like a ghost town, there was less than 20% of the people at my place that there should have been and those of us that made it got sent home at 2pm.

One bit of amusing news, on the way to the tube station, a guy sat at the traffic lights in his van was spouting at the top of his voice about "kicking the "@~#$^" out" at anyone within earshot. Nice to hear as I walked with two Asian colleagues, unfortunately for him two police officers were also within his range and he was promptly dragged out of his van, cuffed and put in the back of someone elses white van.

:D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

No, I'm sorry but I detest racism in all it's guises. If the mods wish to delete my comments fine. But racism is racism.

My head is not in the sand, there are bad apples in every barrel, but the "islamic communities" are no more the problem than the "irish" communities were.

There might not be any *proof*, Nick, but it's generally accepted that only Al Queda (or a group allied to them) would have had the hatred (as well as the organisation and the willingness to use suicide bombers) to carry out those attacks.

I was still living in London when the IRA were carrying out frequent bombings in the 1970s, and yes, an Irish accent *was* viewed with suspicion - that's just human nature. As long as suspicion doesn't boil over into attacks on innocent Muslims, then vigilance and a healthy level of suspicion might help avert at least some attacks in the future.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Don't have any problem with the thought that it very probably is Al Queda, and vigilance at all times has been the way I have lived my life for many years.

However that does not mean suggesting that the "Islamic Communities" per se are a problem.

The problem is the mindless murderers. They are just as big a problem for the "Islamic Communities" as they are for the whole of society.

Wasn't Ant saying that it was *extremism* in Islamic communities that was the problem, rather than the communities per se? Extremism, whether from Islamic fundamentalists or far right Christians, is a danger to us all.

Please don't misquote me Nick, Davy seemed to understand my post as it was meant.

I also fail to see how I am a racist? I would hazard a guess that most races of the world have a muslim contingent, therefore by your reckoning Nick I have a problem with the whole global population.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Guest NickInTheNorth

The original apology I posted seems with hindsight to be rather grudging.

Therefore I do apologise. I accept that you did not mean to suggest that it was "Islamic Communities" per se that are the problem.

It is reading your post which finishes with:

"Yes I may have strong views and might rightly be classed as prejudist when it comes to muslims, but I wasn't born that way, unfortunately it has grown with my own experiences."

that suggested to me that you were saying the opposite of what you intended.

I still feel that the posting you made did suggest "racist" views, but accept that is not what you intended

[ 08. July 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: NickInTheNorth ]

As I remember, Jack Straw himself has stated that this bears all the trademarks of an Al Quieda operation and I would think that he would know a thing or two the rest of us do not....Why all the pussy footing around? It's not a game this! It's got very much more serious now I'll wager.

Paul

I've spoken to and frequently argued with many muslims about the Taleban, Al Quaida et al and as you would expect, their views range accross the whole specrum of opinion from horror at the evils being perpetrated in the name of "their" moderate and respectful take on relegion to outright nutters who genuinly think that the attacks on New York and Madrid were bold strike in the name of Islam, want Britain to become an Islamic state and believe that Bin Laden is a saint.

I have to say that there is genuine cause for concern because the latter group are very definatly a significant minority. Having said that though we should never forget that the magority definatly are hard working genuine people who share 99% of our common values. Nor should we forget that within that majority there is a sub group who are prepared to put their own lives on the line to help to avert disasters like the one that occured yesterday or the one that could have occured if the stock piles of Ricin that were seized in raids had been used.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I agree with you, Ken. Why are some posters jumping to the conclusion that all Muslims are being held responsible just because Al Quaida were almost certainly responsible for yesterday's attacks? :confused: