Ex Seamen on AN

corydoras

corydoras:

[/qb]

Jesus, there is nothing 'bloody' worse than a bloody seaman who is embarrased to say so. If you worked professionaly on a ship you are a seaman.

Cory

An ex-seaman and 'bloody proud' of it.

"Professional" and "Seaman" sorry matey but you can't use both of those together in the same sentence!!

"Greenie" and proud to be!! If I didn't fix it you ceratinly couldn't use the damn things!! :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont believe me?? Have a look at this!!

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=...d2=Naval+seaman :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Cyranne 12:

Seems you've forgotten your Branch origins----the war-time "Electricians" were Seaman Torpedo-men

I knew this kind of thing would happen, but that is what I get for trying to be inclusive. I should have asked 'How many ex Merchant Seamen are on Anglers Net?" That way all the Matlows would have been excluded from word go.

I was a Professional Seaman. That is one whose profession took him down to the sea in ships. We would not have won the Great War, WWII or the Falklands conflict without merchant seamen and I for one am proud to count myself as one of them.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

corydoras:

Seems you've forgotten your Branch origins----the war-time "Electricians" were Seaman Torpedo-men

I knew this kind of thing would happen, but that is what I get for trying to be inclusive. I should have asked 'How many ex Merchant Seamen are on Anglers Net?" That way all the Matlows would have been excluded from word go.

I was a Professional Seaman. That is one whose profession took him down to the sea in ships. We would not have won the Great War, WWII or the Falklands conflict without merchant seamen and I for one am proud to count myself as one of them.

Calm down corydoras, who said we would not of won these conflicts without the Merchant Navy???

Do you see RN personnel as part timers or something? and not 'professional seamen'?

Please explain

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Scotty T:

Do you see RN personnel as part timers or something? and not 'professional seamen'?

Please explain

Scotty

I am being calm (at least I hope I am) and no I definately do not see the RN as 'part timers', but it p!sses me off no end when someone who was obviously a seaman, denies it as if 'seaman' was some kind of dirty word!

[ 07. April 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Gents - the reality here is that the "Regular Forces", be it Army, Navy, whatever, are never large enough to deal with a major conflict. Reserve forces and in the event of a really huge fight requiring goods to be shipped by sea, the merchant fleet, are needed if the fight is to be won.

corydoras - I think one problem is the fact that 'seaman' is a term with very specific meanings for some of us in addition to it being a generic one for folks who make a living on the sea. For instance, I came up through two sea-going military services where 'seaman' is a specific rank and that's one reason I asked for clarification early on in this thread.

We do seem to have a fair smattering of current or former

- merchant vessel crewfolk

- Naval ratings & officers although granted, those will spend less of a career actually on board a vessel than the merchant guys

- people who make a living at commercial fishing

- Marines who are often stationed aboard a vessel but are never really a part of the ships company

All the above make their living by going to sea part or full time. Many are prone to look down on those who aren't in exactly the same sort of sea-going occupation.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

corydoras:

Ok so there is Leon and myself (and maybe Scapanapper) who I know are ex seamen on AN. Are there any more?

What do you mean maybe Scapanapper? do you want to see my discharge book??

Seriously though I try to forget all those days and nights of hanging on for grim death and wondering what I was doing there :P

Shiver me lap top

Scapa.

Scapanapper:

Originally posted by corydoras:

[qb] Ok so there is Leon and myself (and maybe Scapanapper) who I know are ex seamen on AN. Are there any more?

Sorry Scapa, I was pretty SURE that you were ex Merch, I am sure we had spoke about it in the past. I just wasn't 100% sure.