digital cameras

Alan Taylor

Hi all,

I have a Trust 970Z power@m optical zoon 3X lens 3.3 maga pixel camera. Now don't get me wrong it takes some great pictures for normal day to day use and the video function is also handy though a bit short. The close up side is rubbish even when using the tripod and timer and the zoom is not much better, but as I said for normal pics is fine. My MAIN PROBLEM at the moment is that it is too slow between action pictures, it seems like several seconds between being able to take shots which is much too slow.

I can't afford or justify laying out loads of dosh for a better camera but would welcome any advice on what to look out for or even better if anyone has up graded to a super delux and has a decent second hand one that they want to flog off at a reasonable price I may be interested, keeping paragraph 1 in mind :)

Thanks in advance

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan, I have the same problem and my digy was nearly £400,without macroplus (SP) for the close ups, all beit a couple of years ago. What you need is an SLR Digy, but they are still VERY expensive....so, what I did was get hold of a decent 35mm SLR camera,as you know, I am very inexperienced in this field.... :D , might be the way to go till the SLR's come down in price, if they ever do.....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

The fastest that I know of at a sensible price is a Kyocera SL300R, shutter time lag of 0.07seconds and continuous shooting of 3.5 frames per second have a look on the digital section of Warehouse Express.

I have recently bought a Canon A95 and that is fairly quick, and also has a pretty good macro mode.

[High Speed at approx. 2.0 fps (speed maintained for up to 14 images)

Normal at approx. 1.5 fps (speed maintained for up to 17 images)]

Full rundown of the A95 here

[ 07. May 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: ayjay ]

look at the fuji e550 i very surprised at the difference to my 4800z

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Look at: www.7dayshop.com

lots of decent digital cameras at very competitive prices The Minolta DImage is particularly good for action photos.

[ 07. May 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

all u need to do to make it faster between shots is check your pixel or photo quality.if you lessen the quality it should make it work faster. the reason y they usually go slow is that they r set to high and takes longer to adjust the photo to the quality of the shot. try this it may work

abe 1:

all u need to do to make it faster between shots is check your pixel or photo quality.

...........or you could try a faster flash card....

I think your talking about lag time and frames per second. Lag time is a problem on a number of point and shoots (time from when you press the shutter button until photo is taken), but for action shots your probably looking at number of framers per second you can shoot ... had a quick look at the Canon Powershots, and this is what they gave.

Canon Powershot A80 - 2.4 fps for 5 images (not to expensive)

Canon Powershot A95 - 2.0 fps for 14 images

Canon Powershot S2 - 2.4 fps ... for amount card can hold.

Canon 1D Mk2 - 8.5 fps (what pro's use - crazy money)

All other manufactures such as Nikon, Fuji etc seem to offer similar - there is also the shutter speed to throw into the equation, if your looking to get technical.

Close up, throw into Macro mode and you get great shots.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Alan,

I bought my Fuji Finepix s5000 on a whim, had a Kodak before. The Fuji is brilliant for action shots, you can take up pictures continuously, setting it to keep the first five or the last five. All you have to do is press the knob when you think something is about to happen and take your finger off when the happening has happened and chose the shot you want to keep. Great for fishing provided you a a) not the one catching and B) not the one landing. Happily I'm usually involved in one or other! The pic of Sonja was taken with a low resolution because I had forgotten to re-set it, it goes two settings better than that. Has great optical and digital zoom. FWIW

Cheers

PS did the postcard get there?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Thanks one and all, I could not find the kyocera sl300R but the rest look very good.

I had the camera set with the flash ON and after reading some of the above that could be part of the problem.

My Sister is in Kroatia at the moment so may ask her to price a couple out for me (tax free I hope). Failing that I have borrowed a video camera and evidently it is possible to take stills from the video but the quality is not quite as good which in this case is not important.

Just to let you know what it is all about, at the back of my place we have a nice water. There is a Swan there who calls it HIS patch and chases all the Ducks away, especially the females and a white one. He hammers across the top of the water trying to catch them and I want to bait him so that he heads STRAIT for me, head on. My breathing problems are paying hell with moving around even short distances so it is getting quite difficult to be on the spot in time :mad:

I may have to buy a plastic Duck, paint it white and use it as a lure, Sonja winding it in while I take pictures :D

It may be easier to get a picture later on when (if) the ducklings show up, he just kills the lot of them :(

The Greebs had 5 young and the Coot 6 but he just leaves them alone, the Coot even had a go at the Swan and a Heron for getting too close :D

My Sister is quite an artist and has asked me for a subject that she can paint for me, I thought this would be ideal and no copy write involved in using other peoples pics.

Sorry to go on but after all your efforts in answering my question I thought you might be interested in knowing the reason for it. :)

Neville, the post card hit the mat as I was typing this :cool: cheers mate, Sonja's Bass pictures have pride of place on the wall and I have to see them EVERY DAY

Thanks again

Alan

[ 09. May 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/