The drop or 'tell tale' shot

tiddlertamer

Some people think that the drop or 'tell tale' shot set up close to the hook helps indicate a bite on a bulk shotted line in certain circumstances.

Others, including the legendary Dick Walker, have argued that it has no benefit.

Who is right?

If the 'tell tale' shot does have benefit, what is the principle behind how it aids bite detection for the angler?

Or in fact, are there potentially any adverse consequences from using the 'tell tale' drop shot

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the details of shotting patterns is probably the most complicated subject in coarse fishing - I'll get that in first! Making little changes does often make a big and instant difference, but we don't always know why (at least, I don't :rolleyes: ).

I tend to think that a tell-tale shot is important - if not for indication, for presentation. When trotting, I'll usually have two no.8s on the hooklength, one about 4" from the hook, the other about 8". It doesn't help indication obviously, but it keeps the bait where it needs to be.

A different matter in still water of course...!

In certain circumstances I don't use tell-tale shot - e.g. when float fishing for big perch in shallow water. It doesn't have any benefits, as far as I can tell.

Good topic by the way, I'm very interested in others' opinions.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you're trotting a tell-tale shot isn't really effective, IMO. The reasoning being that if you're trotting the aim is to present the bait as iff its naturally being carried by the current, and a tell-tale shot will, I think, impede the natural appearance.

When Leon Roskilliy took me out to teach me how to use a 'pin, he said "Shotting when you're trotting isn't subtle". What he meant was you should bulk your shot and leave the hooklength as free as possible. It's served me well enogh since he showed me.

Anderoo is quite right about shotting on still waters though. Dependent upon what I'm fishing for, what is biting if it isn't the target species, how quickly I want the bait onthe bottom all affect the choice of shotting pattern.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest tigger
If you're trotting a tell-tale shot isn't really effective, IMO. The reasoning being that if you're trotting the aim is to present the bait as iff its naturally being carried by the current, and a tell-tale shot will, I think, impede the natural appearance.

Often you need a shot 5/6 inches from your hook to keep your bait down so as to drag bottom on the trott.

Often you need a shot 5/6 inches from your hook to keep your bait down so as to drag bottom on the trott.

I can relate to that, and I wasn't very clear when I posted the original comment. We were fishing a stream which was quite deep (over 10') where we were trotting and had got the roach competing for the offerings, so the bites were coming on the drop as the hook was sinking as it was being carried through the run.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

for me on stillwaters at least the last shot is a tell tale shot ,Its porpose is too set the sensitivity of the float ! by moving it back or forth i can alter the instigation of the indication by altering the distance between hook and suspended weight .getting the right balance is the tricky bit and is not oftan the same twice ! just what works best on the day

still on stillwaters ,a tell tale shot is critical with lift methods with the tell tale on the deck and if its lifted (by the fish righting itself after stooping to pick up the bait) the float lifts by the corrisponding amount (or there abouts)

but on running water a dropper shot has limited use, except too ensure the bait gets too or stays nearer the bottom ! on rare occations .but then i rarely fish shirt button style i prefer bulk shotting techniques and of a 2/3rds system mostly bulk 2/3 between float and hook and any trimming shot added too the bulk and a number 11 or 8 sometimes under the float as a depth marker ,i likes it simple

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Others, including the legendary Dick Walker, have argued that it has no benefit.

Dick Walker also contradicted himself to some extent. I remember reading an article where he said that a fish could move several feet with a bait, without it registering on the float.

My experience tells me that it couldn't with a 'tell tale' shot.

It obviously varies depending on the depth, flow, size of bait, etc, but I consider a 'tell tale' shot, and it's positioning vital.

The movement of the shot, causes the next one up to move, this combined with the resistance from the water, makes the float move. I say "move" because too many anglers think that a float has to go under to show a bite.

I have watched from a bridge or high bank, as anglers have been trotting a bait through the swim.

It's surprising how many bites they have got, without a distinct movement of the float. This is seen much more often without a tell tale than with.

By adjusting the position of the shot, you can make it register quicker or slower on the float.

The general rule is, 'Seeing bites but not hitting them, move it away from the hook'. 'Not seeing bites, but getting sucked maggots/worms, crushed casters, or bait missing, then move the shot closer to the hook'. The difference in position can be just a half inch, but it's surprising how effective it can be.

Even if I bulk my shot, I always have one or two dropper shot to allow me to make adjustments should the need arise. These shot can vary between No 10s to No 4s, depending on the swim, size of bait, and species I expect.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

On my last session, I caught several fish because the tell-tale did not register on the float - either because it was taken on the drop, or lifted up after it had settled. I wonder whether RW's comment related to fishing overdepth - I don't think a tell-tale which sits on the bottom with the line to the float slack does much at all (though it may be useful to prevent drift).

Dick Walker also contradicted himself to some extent. I remember reading an article where he said that a fish could move several feet with a bait, without it registering on the float.

My experience tells me that it couldn't with a 'tell tale' shot.

John.

Thanks to everybody for responding.

Clearly a complex subject which I'm still trying to get my head around and to which there are a range of interesting opinions.

Regarding a fish moving several feet without it registering, could the use of a 'tell tale' shot actually have an adverse affect? i.e. Could the use of this extra weight, no matter how small, cause the fish to think it unnatural and reject it quickly?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Anyone reading this who is new to fishing or showing others how to fish, as a general rule of thumb, the tell tale shot (the bottom shot) should be placed a maximum of 10 cm's from the hook.

With depth plumbed up so the bait is just touching bottom (or slightly laying on say an inch), will prevent fish becoming deep hooked - especially this time of year when fish are very active, hungry and competing for food.

The tell tale shot not only catches you more fish by seeing every "nibble", the slight pulls and lifts of the bait but good fish care too.

It always concerns me when I see preloaded floats being fished without a single bit of shot in a few feet of water, inevitably the angler is catching as the bait slowly wafts down and then the inevitable...... a fish with a hook deep down and panic. Nobodies smiling then!!!

Maybe all fishing forums should have a good practice corner, with anglers giving little tips they have learnt from experience.

EDIT: The above applies to still / slow moving water. In faster water, fish have to decide very quickly if they are intercepting a bait and the bite will be unmistakeable with very little chance of deep hooking.

Edited by Jeffwill