Service of remembrance

kleinboet

I have just watched the service of remembrance on BBC1 - It's a pity that it is not made compulsory for the younger members of our country. Maybe if they did the "seniors" would get the respect they deserve, instead of being called a bunch of old f@rts.

Nursejudy, the nursing staff that were acting for the profession did marvelously. they made me feel "right proud".

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

is it just me but you hardly see many people wearing poppies now , and yes kleinboet it should be made mandatory at school to show how many people have made sacrifices for us

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Ive always watched the remembrance service and always full of pride and admiration for the fallen and for our sevice men and women how are serving there country know. it was always drumed into me when i was young from my grandparents and fill that i owe a great deel to all these people. My son who is 11 watches it as well always wears his poppy with pride. we have a neibour how was in the normandy landings and my son loves to talk to him about those days. I think it is importent never to let the youngsters forget. i noticed this year the lack of youngsters wearing poppys which saddens me. with youth of today i feel that respect is gone and unless something is done rememberace will just dwindle.

Regards

Paul.s

----------------------------------

Live for today as there might not be a tommorrow!!!

jp-tackle.co.uk

The other day on the Jeremy Vine radio programme there was a female talking, I believe she is a newspaper editor. I got very annoyed as she was going on about stopping the Festival of Remembrance from next year as it will be 60 years from the end of world war 2. she stated there was too much emphasis on the first and second world wars. Last night seeing the elderly men who were survivors from the 1st WW who were both over 100yrs old, I thought how would they feel if it was just abandoned, would they, and the decendants of those who 'never came back' feel that their sacrifices were in vain. While there is even a 'grandchild' living of someone who served in the second world war it should not be discontinued. While not being old enough to remember the 2nd world war I was born close enough after it to see rationing and other after effects. As for poppies, I think this year that there was a shortage of 'door to door' collectors, probably because of our 'so safe' streets. who wants to be seen carrying even a small amount of money in public these days. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Steam rules

i always buy a poppy as if it was not for the sacrafice they made i dont no were we would be

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

female talking, I believe she is a newspaper editor. I got very annoyed as she was going on about stopping the Festival of Remembrance from next year as it will be 60 years from the end of world war 2. she stated there was too much emphasis on the first and second world wars. Last night seeing the elderly men who were survivors from the 1st WW who were both over 100yrs old, I thought how would they feel if it was just abandoned, would they, and the decendants of those who 'never came back' feel that their sacrifices were in vain.

I caught the back end of that. What the silly cow failed to understand was that without my dad and grandad and everybody else's too, we'd all be speaking german right now. My mother's little brother died after being dug in and bombarded for ten days on a beach at Dunkirk in 1940 before I was born. I have his name and I feel no embarrasment in standing and reflecting for one minute every year, its hardly a chore and I resent anyone who feels that its boring or a waste of time. My poppy doesnt always get worn, the bloody thing keeps falling off. Buts it always in my pocket.

[ 14. November 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have been a poppy seller for the past 12 years and an associate member of the legion,how can people talk of stopping "Remembrance",,there will always be conflict somewhere alas,how must the families of the Black Watch be feeling hearing this.

I'm ashamed to say I have only been able to sell Poppies twice this year as work commitments were not conducive to to the standing out side the local supermarket this year.Door to door selling is not safe really ,you are a target for mugging!!!I'even more ashamed to say I missed being on the parade this morning!!!!!

my granson has learnt about the festival of Eid for the end of Ramadan this week but had not been told about Armestice Day on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!

judith :o:o

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Yes they gave their lives so we could enjoy freedom. Just think if they had not put up such a wonderful and stubborn fight this posting would probably be in German!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

quote:

Yes they gave their lives so we could enjoy freedom. Just think if they had not put up such a wonderful and stubborn fight this posting would probably be in German!

sadly our men in government also forget that our ancestors died to keep us free from european based rulers ,unfortunatly we still maybe speaking german yet :mad:

gladly the much vaunted regionlisation (a euro breaking down of member states into smaller less powered chunks) was well and truly booted out by our northern friends ,still i suspect it will go ahead under another hidden agenda ,another layer of self infatuated beurocrats to fund :mad:

[ 14. November 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson