Call centre crisis

Steve Randles

Nope. I have actually posted who I work for before, but I don't want to put it here. You never know who's reading and my post my be regarding as derogatory.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how long before we all shop by e-mail? And it won't be a UK company that supplies us.

Why are the big boys going abroad? To stay competetive? Or to make even more money for the non productive shareholders? We have created a system in this country that is no longer working, it started with Thatcherism. I can nver forgive the Tories for that!

If you check company accounts its hardly for the profit, the reason being as stated previously is they have no choice , it is a global market.If they dont cut costs to match competion ..result ...no business and another few million unemployed. Its not only this country thats affected either although I doubt there is another country with the stupendous bureaucracy, laws and taxation to match the UK which have reached the point of insanity for a company to employ anyone.

While I have little love for any polition , I can remember pre Thatcher days and what an absolute mess this country was in. Prosperity was created for many who were willing to take it and it was a genuine prosperity unlike the absolute crap and propaganda and out right lies issued to the public by this bunch of no hopers.Saying that I also have little doubt that the coming conserative government will be of little use now.

Jeees, it's not often I empathise with Yoxer but...

Paul

The main reason is that most decision makers are now on incentivised pay structures, and if they achieve certain figures they'll get a nice tidy bonus. What this means however is that nobody ever looks at anything in the long term any more. If they can achieve their figures and hence their bonus by cutting this year then they'll do it. They can get away with this for a couple of years before the long term impact starts to hit, but that's when they move on to another company. There are an awful lot of senior managers who never stay in jobs for more than 3 years. The next guy in then gets a years grace to tidy up (often with a decent budget) before he's off on the same bonus chasing as the previous guy.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

ha ha the reason why they are not looking long term is that there is no long term left to look at. Did you know that Levi's now have a completely automated production plant ...from the delivery of raw denim to the finished garment ( jeans ) in customers individual size requirement,to dispatch ....all without a single employee? There is no human , including IT people working at the plant .The individual order is placed by computer ( email ) and kept on record and can be altered in the size requirements if weight is gained or lost etc.

can`t see the fuss,ever since the 60`s and before things were produced cheaper abroad ,remember cheap trash from germany ,then japan,hong kong,tiawan,korea etc etc cheap sweatshop labour ,unfortunatly it has a catastrophic effect ,slightly better wages than the norm (a pittence compared to the west) and then inflation occurs ,food sellers catch on to ther increase in wealth in their neighbour-hood and raise prices etc so do rents etc etc,this makes the increase in income worthless and they demand more ,demanding more makes them no longer viable as slave labour and the multinationals move on leaving the country in a downward spiral :( China at the moment the sweat shop of the world but not for long .Multinationals need utter destitution to work once the cost of living rises profit goes down ,as i say it will be britains turn soon not because we`re good but will be cheap :mad:

Multinational arent employing the poor through kind acts but for profit ,the cheaper the costs the more profit and shareholder gain .they dont give a toss about the quality nor actual costs of the end product after all we in the west buy it for its "name" NOT its pedigree

[ 10. June 2004, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The T.V. programme Brassed Off Britain sited an Indian call centre. In this centre they maintained that they were all perfect English speaking College graduates.

They were trained on understanding the British culture. Guess how, they were shown recorded episodes of above all things East Enders.

So next time you get a call from one just say WOSGANNON and they will understand you perfectly.

:D:D gord blimey me old mucker its me stannah stairlift giving me hassel on the apples and pairs ,me old ma sez its the condenser in the fluflu valve, the sky hooks are failing and the bucket of steam is gorn dry :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The difference today is that products are produced, especialy from China , to the specifications of whoever is buying. You can buy at more or less any price stipulated for product " x " . The variable is the quality, to suit the importing country. Anyone thinking China is producing low quality inferior products needs to look again. It is more a case of the importer specifying a low end product for import to the UK as the importer realises the limited "free" spending capacity of the UK population.In other words the avarage UK punter has got F all left in his pocket to spend. Sweat shop labour is another myth often cited, with little kids working for a bowl of rice a month.While Ive no doubt it does happen its far from the norm and those citing this crap want to look at the sweat shops currently operating in Manchester and Birmingham.