PC tax

rob.i

There was a piece on the front page of yesterday's Times.

As with all things emanating from this government and the press, the devil is in the detail - and in this case, not surprisingly, there is a total lack of it.

At face value, it was headlined as a 'computer tax' to replace the television licence because of a loophole that means that you can currently watch tv and listen to radio on your PC without a licence.

If they introduce it as a 'computer tax, what are they going to tax? In your average house - washing machines, dishwashers, cookers all use microprocessors (in effect, computers). How many 'computers' does your car have? Will they tax those as well? I doubt it.

As it was just a 'comment' from Jowell and few, if any, of hers are remotely sensible, I wouldn't place too much credence on it until there is a detailed proposal put forward. All in all, I reckon it's another half-arsed announcement to con you into believing that they're actually doing something.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

i dont see the loophole, if you have a device capable of receiving TV signals, whether it be a conventional tv, vcr, tivo or pc with a tv card in it, then you need a tv licence

[ 04. March 2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: jeepster ]

jeepster:

i dont see the loophole, if you have a device capable of receiving TV signals, whether it be a conventional tv, vcr, tivo or pc with a tv card in it, then you need a tv licence

This should take you to the article... If there's confusion about whether or not you need a tv licence to watch from your PC, then the Culture secretary is either lying, dissembling or OFCOM don't know their ar*e from a hole in the ground....

Times Online - Britain... Computer tax set to replace TV licence fee By Adam Sherwin and Dan Sabbagh A levy on ownsership of PCs as well as TVs is being considered to solve the legal ...

www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,2,00.html - Similar pages

the only confusion i think is that people assume they dont need a licence, the law is quite clear as far as i can see, if you're receiving a tv signal, however it ends up on your screen, then you need a licence. far be it from us to suggest that a politican would lie, or a government body wouldn't

know its ar*e from a hole in the ground

jeepster:

far be it from us to suggest that a politican would lie, or a government body wouldn't know its ar*e from a hole in the ground

Oh no! they'd never do that!

BTW - I am a trainee politician! :D

The Times want to place a cookie on my machine just to read text, hence I can't see the article

[ 04. March 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

The Times want to place a cookie on my machine just to read text, hence I can't see the article :(

Stop being so anal about cookies then. Your site uses them too you know.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote