"Pay As You Go" Road Tax

Elton

Guest NickInTheNorth

If they can make it work (and I know that is a big IF) I welcome it with open arms.

I reckon it'll save me a fortune. 2p a mile at 15000 miles per year = £300 that's quite a saving compared to road tax and fuel duty!!

Bring it on

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be brutally honest here, the scheme is designed to make money so almost no one will be better off by the scheme. Sure it might be designed to thin out traffic at peak times but there's no such thing as rush hour - it lasts for nearer 4 hours. Likewise the M25 isn't only busy at 'peak times' or rather peak times can be anytime bwetween about 6am and 8pm midweek and anytime at w/e's. If it's anything like the ID card system, we'll all have to fork out for the pleasure of a little black box.

Leon, you mention all the problems with the current infrastructure but what would you propose as a 'real' solution (and I've already got a couple of bikes )

Rob.

RobStubbs:

Leon, you mention all the problems with the current infrastructure but what would you propose as a 'real' solution (and I've already got a couple of bikes     )

Rob.

No 'real' solutions I'm afraid, only unpopular ones (which is why nothing much will be done by the politicians until it's all too late).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Surely the problem of congestion is not infinite so why do the media treat it like it is?

Seems fairly logicial that whilst Britain has an increasing population how many additional drivers can that add to our existing pool each year (bearing in mind you lose some to age/death). There can only be a slight increase surely...

The real problem perhaps is the centralisation of large commercial cities like London, Manchester and the like. It's the typical mentality of British governments to say - let's build a new football stadium - where - smack in the middle of bloody London. Olympics - London. National Museums and Theatres - London.

Move it out of cities a little bit, and spread the wealth (jobs and the like) and congestion will naturally ease as the population become more distributed and people visit different areas of the country.

Besides, within 10 to 15 years - the realistic planning time for a project like this - cars will burn virtually clean, and we will (more than likely) have newer generation vehicles running on LPG and cleaner fuels. If that's the case why are more roads a problem........

Public transport is a joke. Our trains are pathetic, unsafe, unclean and overcrowded. Go to France, a country of 'layabouts' as we stereotype them, and they have 200mph plus trains......

Solution - Let people like Branson buy up private land and build their own fully independent lines. It works, Europe have proved it all over...it will kill Railtrack and the numerous profit hungry train operators, but who really gives a toss??

Ian W

well i think i got the problem solved..easy ban suppermarkets...

in days gone by poeple got there groseries from the corner shop. If it was clothes or any thing else it was a trip on saturday to a town on a bus. then came the Suppermarket cheaper and more choise, well every wife in the land drove hubby mad afterwork take me shopping its cheeper at asda 6 miles away.so the weekly shop starts. So the corner shops vanish and the suppermarkets grow.

Then they start to sell clothes.

so the towns suffer and go.

Now no man in the land wants to go after work for a loaf and shop for clothes.

So wifey says ill get a car for the shopping....and i can take the kids in as well, cause we dont want them to walk when theres a car on the drive do we.

So ban suppermarkets, bring back the shop on the corner of the street. problem solved

[ 07. June 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: deanbmw ]

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk:

Seems fairly logicial that whilst Britain has an increasing population how many additional drivers can that add to our existing pool each year (bearing in mind you lose some to age/death).   There can only be a slight increase surely...

It's not so much the number of cars, or the number of vehicles.

It's the length of time each vehicle is taking up road space that is the problem.

Congestion increases as people make more journies, or undertake longer journies, or drive at times when traffic slows so that they are on the road longer.

It is perfectly possible to increase road congestion whilst the actual number of drivers and/or cars are reduced.

And congestion causes congestion!

The longer your journey takes, the longer you are occupying roadspace needed by someone else whose journey time is also increased, and so the 'rush hour' becomes longer making it harder to avoid driving at peak times.

Besides, within 10 to 15 years - the realistic planning time for a project like this - cars will burn virtually clean, and we will (more than likely) have newer generation vehicles running on LPG and cleaner fuels. If that's the case why are more roads a problem........

It's not pollution that is the problem here, it's being able to move people and goods quickly and economically.

I think that you are being far too optimistic in assuming that cars will be 'clean' in 10-15 years, and that's the other problem with congestion. Deadly pollution is increased as cars spend longer with their engines running, going nowhere.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 07. June 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

You are all missing the main point, let me give you a few facts:

1: Road humps to make you go way below 30MPH.

2: Speed Cameras but ignore Cyclists and pedestrians.

3: "Pedestrianisation" of city centres.

4: telling motorists there is "No Money" to repair roads, yet they can widen pavements and put in traffic islands. (where did they get the money for that?)

I could go on but won't.

This is a concerted effort to get RID of cars and motorists, it is bigoted, and plain and simple victimisation.

[ 08. June 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

and to pick up on this again

quote:

As long as these cleaner fuels are still carbon based fuels, then we are still producing CO2 much faster than it is used up and so contributing to global warming and depleting the world's oxygen levels.

quote:

As long as these cleaner fuels are still carbon based fuels, then we are still producing CO2 much faster than it is used up and so contributing to global warming and depleting the world's oxygen levels.

matter cannot be destroyed only changed ,we cant run out of oxygen nor water ,CO2 is just that a bond of carbon and 2 bits of oxygen ,take away the carbon and get oxygen.

were drinking the same water the dinosaurs did and that existed when the planet was formed ,man is clever at changing one thing for another but in the end it ends up as it existed before ,burn oil the eventual end product is carbon and oxygen and water which ofcourse is oxygen and hydrogen (inert) the exact same things the trees that formed the oil and coal were made of in the first place.

forget all this stripping the worlds resourses crap were changing in the short time the resourses ,it will be there in the exact same amounts when man is a fossil himself.

trees (and every other plant)take in CO2 and extract the carbon and relese the oxygen as long as night is longer than day were always have more oxygen than CO2

[ 08. June 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson