Euthanasia - I am confused

kleinboet

Lethality is a matter of dose, though. My grandfather's doctor told the family that the doses of morphine necessary to control the pain of his terminal kidney cancer were likely to hasten his death. Nobody objected to this.

My father was told by the consultant cardiologist - "this medication will kill you...but not as quickly as not taking it would."

This is seen as OK, but as DavyR said, it's a very fine line.

I am pro-choice but it has to be the individual's choice made when they're sentient, I don't think the family should have any input in such a decision.

It's a nice moral issue, although I'm not sure of the relevance of putting down the family pet - it's not as if they're going to say 'I've had enough of this and want to be put out of my misery', is it?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A man has his legs amputated as they have been crushed by a car - A dog is euthanised because his back legs were crushed by a car!

A man is diagnosed with an extremely virulent and painful form of Cancer that even Opium will not ease the pain and it is inoperable yet he is not allowed to kill himself because he cannot take the pain - an animal is diagnosed with the same Cancer and is painlessly euthanised.

It would appear that animals take preference over humans when a "humanitarian" decision is required

It's not always the case, KB, I've seen a fair number of amputee animals living well-loved lives...the difference is the cost to the owner.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Alan - I agree with you (that's a first!) I know of several animals including a dog that had a set of wheels fitted and lived another 3 years! It might not always be the case with animals but it is with humans! They are not ALLOWED to be "put out of their misery" full stop!

Sportsman - you need help, everyone else understood what I am saying whereas you answered as if I had posted something unreasonable. Its all gobbledegook to you so I will ignore any future postings!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Alan - I agree with you (that's a first!) I know of several animals including a dog that had a set of wheels fitted and lived another 3 years! It might not always be the case with animals but it is with humans! They are not ALLOWED to be "put out of their misery" full stop!

Sportsman - you need help, everyone else understood what I am saying whereas you answered as if I had posted something unreasonable. Its all gobbledegook to you so I will ignore any future postings!

Possibly the first thing you have said that I have agreed with. :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/