whitby uk record for cod

iggy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a record is to come it will be from the big boat not the inshore ones 20 mile in lol

I can't fault your enthusiasm iggy , but the 'inside' boats try their socks off and do produce some really nice fish , you never know it could be lifted only a couple mile out. Then again it might be 100 mile out , who knows. I believe one thing is certain and that is if the record is broken it will be in the NORTH SEA and not further south.

I've had awesome days inside and offshore from the port.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

A local trawler 3 years ago had a cod over 30kilos gutted when trawling just over 2 mile off but the 58lb cod even in the hey days the 58lb cod was an exceptional fish even the guys going to norway nowadays dont see fish that big but then again who would have thought anglers would be catching halibut upto 50lb from angling boats of whitby there have numerous halibut over the last couple of months there was 1 caught by local pair trawlers landed on the fish market 2 days ago over 35 kilos it would fantastic to see a cod over 50lb whether it was caught 1 mile off or 100 mile i think any man these days would allmost certainlly deserve a medal if he was to catch a fish of that magnitude.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Lets hope it happens soon. :rolleyes:

Whichever boat gets it should be fully booked for a long time.

If it is a sea angler on the Wildcard there is a £10,000 prize for the lucky angler. :lol::lol:

Not really sure what this is all about but a bit of information with regards the record cod might not go amiss as it was caught no more than three miles from shore from one of the local charter or party boats

Theres been a lot of fish around that weight caught by professional fishermen in nets and trawls of various guises over the years so thers no reason to assume there won't be others yet to come

It matters not one bit wether the records broken again or not as all the record records in a moment in time when a particular fish of a particular weight was caught, it has no bearing on an anglers skill its just a measurement of weight

If we can catch records everytime we went it would get a bit boring but thats why we go , to try and catch the unexpected and enjoy the day, we can only catch the year class's that abound so we can only judge our results against everyone elses and as long as we all get our fair share who gives a stuff about the record anyway

We have specimen hunters who dedicate their lives to catching massive carp, pike, barbel etc but no one targets big cod or ling. We are all preoccupied with drift fishing with lures to produce big bags of fish rather than trying to catch big fish.

There are some very interesting structures off our coast which could hold some very big fish - but no one is fishing for them.

The wreck of the Namorado field jacket or rig wreck is an example. She lies within reach of Hartlepool and Whitby boats and she is colossal in size. She stands 8 storeys high, 550ft wide x 600ft deep and is covered in nets. The boats drift fish down one side of her or try to skim the top for pollock.

I am convinced there are species such as halibut, turbot, conger and porbeagle sharks which could be caught with the right approach. I think placing 2 anchors uptide of these structures and bumping big baits - or big live baits into them could bring dividends - but no one is trying it.

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

We have specimen hunters who dedicate their lives to catching massive carp, pike, barbel etc but no one targets big cod or ling. We are all preoccupied with drift fishing with lures to produce big bags of fish rather than trying to catch big fish.

There are some very interesting structures off our coast which could hold some very big fish - but no one is fishing for them.

The wreck of the Namorado field jacket or rig wreck is an example. She lies within reach of Hartlepool and Whitby boats and she is colossal in size. She stands 8 storeys high, 550ft wide x 600ft deep and is covered in nets. The boats drift fish down one side of her or try to skim the top for pollock.

I am convinced there are species such as halibut, turbot, conger and porbeagle sharks which could be caught with the right approach. I think placing 2 anchors uptide of these structures and bumping big baits - or big live baits into them could bring dividends - but no one is trying it.

Alan

At last, forward thinking. John Brennan before he died was up for that, however it didn't happen, bless him. I'm not sure what the pre-occupation is regarding two anchors. For example within the next two days, Paul Whittall is doing two back to back fifteen hour conger trips on the south coast. He will only use one anchor as usual. He will drop twice, once on the flood and ebb. However very rarely he will need to move, mostly if he is too close to the wreck and the guys have difficulty in keeping the conger from going back in, not often though. On a rare occasion the wind or tide may move the boat from the ideal fishing position, yes, then you will need to re-anchor, not to often though. A skipper i know down the west country does not even need to bouy the anchor to reset, all he does is drive it out, still down, use the gps to decide exactly where he wants to drop it again. Magical to see that is. I have been on the boat when there could easily be half a dozen coming up at any one time, fantastic fun, not to be missed. Today we spent the morning with Paul on the drift, a fair few decent codling and four or five cod well into double figures. In the afternoon the tide dropped off, with the wind we were vitually stationary over a wreck. The result was half a dozen ling, caught on mackerel,well into double figures, one nice bream that was certainly over three pound. To fish for ling, properly, we would anchor and let the bait drift down into where they live. Sometimes in water over 300' deep. The fish that you describe, apart from the shark spend their living and feeding time on the bottom. If you can hold a fresh bait down long enough you will start to catch, cod included. Lots of mackerel and squid bait, thats without the further method of using live mackerel. There are many skippers who do the exact same thing. Try it you may well be supprised.

Yes i know, we can all catch codling and a few cod with the shad and a hopper rig, all you are doing is to bounce a bait in front of the fish and take it away again. Most times you will get a take directly it reaches bottom, where they live. Today our takes with shad were on the bottom or bouncing the top of the wreck. Give anchoring a go you may well be supprised.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..