Our England.............

Guest Ferret1959

Ferret1959:

It used to be at one time.......

All the best for St Georges Day.

3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

If St. Goeorges Day is so important to the English, how come it is not a Bank Holiday, like St Andrews Day in Scotland and St. David's Day in Wales?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

few pints of bombardier for me tonight...want my free t-shirt :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Guest Ferret1959
corydoras:

corydoras:

If St. Goeorges Day is so important to the English, how come it is not a Bank Holiday, like St Andrews Day in Scotland and St. David's Day in Wales?
Exactly why isn't it?

I think if we had it as a bank holiday every other race, nationality and his dog would want one and then we'd have a bank holiday every day of the week throughout the year.

Mister Toad:

Happy St George's Day to all Englishmen everywhere.

Fly the flag and be proud.

how can you be proud of something you did NOTHING to achieve? you fell out of your mother's womb in a randon place on this earth ... WELL DONE!

Ferret1959:

As an Englishman living in Scotland, I have become aware of those South of the border having some confusion in seperating the terms English and British, they are not interchangable.

Interestingly enough St George was a Turk

:rolleyes:

Cheers

Scapa

quote:

Originally posted by corydoras:

If St. Goeorges Day is so important to the English, how come it is not a Bank Holiday, like St Andrews Day in Scotland and St. David's Day in Wales? [/QB]

Having lived in both Scotland and Wales, I cannot recall either St's day being a public holiday.

I am willing to be corrected.

Cheers

Scapa

quote:

He was pre-Turkey, he was born in Cappodocia (modern day Turkey) then a province in the Eastern Roman Empire and was a General in their Army. He is supposed to have brought Christianity to the Pagans hence the Sainthood.

The Turks were later invaders from furter East bringing another religion with them.

But interestingly, he never set foot on Old Blighty.

rabster:

quote:

He was pre-Turkey, he was born in Cappodocia (modern day Turkey) then a province in the Eastern Roman Empire and was a General in their Army. He is supposed to have brought Christianity to the Pagans hence the Sainthood.

The Turks were later invaders from furter East bringing another religion with them.

But interestingly, he never set foot on Old Blighty.

Thanks for the info Rab.

That makes St George pre English then, also Invaders from the East.

And what about the Dragon????

Cheers Scapa

[ 23. April 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Scapanapper ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scapanapper:

Having lived in both Scotland and Wales, I cannot recall either St's day being a public holiday.

I am willing to be corrected.

Cheers

Scapa

After a quick search on Google it looks like you are correct mate.

It must be age playing tricks on me. I was sure that we used to get a day off school on St. Andrews Day when we were kids.

[ 23. April 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote