Cockles for tench

Howard 13

I've been struggling a bit this season for tench and bream but the last few weeks I'm doing alright.

The strange thing being I'm catching whilst the sun is out and it's hot.

I've been doing early mornings and evening sessions but having no joy. In previous seasons I've found it nearly impossible to get bream during the day. :confused:

HB.

[ 10. September 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Howard 13 ]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howard 13:

Isn't black pudding a bit difficult to keep on the hook?

LOL The difficulty I have is in deciding to put it on the hook in the first place - would rather eat it :D . Seriously, either hair rig it, or thread your line through a chunk with a baiting needle before tying the hook on - its worth the trouble.

Same problem with cockles - I have to take enough for both me and the tench . Incidentally cockles are a very good bait for sorting out the better roach if you get the roach "up in the water" on maggot.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

quote:

Originally posted by Vagabond:

[/qb]

Incidentally cockles are a very good bait for sorting out the better roach if you get the roach "up in the water" on maggot. [/QB]

I'll bear that in mind 'cos that's what I realy want is a BIG roach.

HB.

Howard 13:

I'll bear that in mind 'cos that's what I realy want is a BIG roach.

HB.

Me too mate

By "better roach" I meant those over a pound up to my PB which remains stuck on 1-14. :o

Chick peas also good as Dan says.

Going chub fishing this morning, catch you later

Four Hours later..... back, gonna watch cricket. Got one chub (not spectacular , it was just 2lb plus)- on whelk .

That's another tip for tenchers - a piece of whelk is as good as a cockle, and it is tougher, and withstands ravages of small fish better.

Catches tench OK.

TTFN

[ 11. September 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I like using a bed of small (2 or 3mm) Trout pellets as a loose feed with cockles. I also feed a couple of cockles each cast.

I've fished cockles and corn next to each other in the same swim a few times as an experiment on a prolific tench water near me, the cockles outfish the corn by a factor of 5:1, and I caught less carp on the cockles too ;-)

Mat

Mat

Cockles? Chick peas?....for Roach? For Tench I can understand.

My God it's Roach for goodness sake. Try a Lobworm. Their cheaper and they're readily available right now if you go looking for them.

It's not the Galloping Gourmet.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've caught big roach on cockles. It's the only bait I use now, which may sound limiting, but I have such confidence in it. It just seems to sort better fish out - had a lovely perch on one last time I went. I have gone from using two or three on a hair, to using one or half on a size12/14. I normally loosefeed a few torn up cockles with tiny trout pellets - works very well.

Cockles for Perch?...now you have my attention!!

That, I'll have to try.... :D

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...