News trivia question for you.........

Guest Brumagem Phil

The critical comments have the endorsment of a certain Tory MEP, so we can't really blame those abroad for commenting on misinformation.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The critical comments have the endorsment of a certain Tory MEP, so we can't really blame those abroad for commenting on misinformation.

John.

TBH John I don't think that he called it Orwellian or a hotbed of terrorists. He did however say that in many ways it is not fit for purpose and that unfortunately is true.

The NHS is, and always has been staffed by dedicated professionals and managed by second rate managers.

It is, and always has been excellent in its treatment of emergencies and casualties. Get dragged in off the street and the treatment is excellent., It is the routine stuff that it has a problem managing.

As an example, I was discharged from hospital on the 17th June, at which time the Consultant Neurosurgeon informed me that I was to have a check X ray every two weeks for a couple of months and that he would see me in outpatients in one month. Two months later I am still awaiting my first X ray, and yes, I have spoken to everyone from my GP, the outpatients dept and the consultants secretary. I was informed after a month had passed that they were running a little late and hadn't got around to typing up my discharge letter yet, let alone made any appointments.

I made my own decision after six weeks to stop wearing the collar and I am working on the "alright so far" principle.

I have no idea when or if I will see the consultant again, and to be honest I am not too concerned. If I notice a significant change I will fall over in the street, call an ambulance and bypass the system, otherwise I am happy to monitor how I feel myself. After all, if I did see him he would just ask how I feel anyway.

I first joined the NHS in 1967 when it was the pride of Britain and the envy of the world, sadly no longer the case. Since it's inception it has been underfunded and mis-managed and I think it is now almost beyond resuscitation.

It is said that we get the NHS we deserve and that is true to a point. The French system is miles better than ours but it costs the individual quite a bit more. How many would be prepared to pay more for a better service?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

TBH John I don't think that he called it Orwellian or a hotbed of terrorists. He did however say that in many ways it is not fit for purpose and that unfortunately is true.

The NHS is, and always has been staffed by dedicated professionals and managed by second rate managers.

True Dave, he didn't say that, but something a long the lines of, 'a relic of a bygone age, when we had ration books', and 'he wouldn't wish it on anybody'. It certainly made David Cameron cringe. :D

As an opposite to you, I recently went to my GP with a problem. She referred me to the Practice urologist who runs a weekly clinic. I saw him on his next visit, (2 days later). He suggested a MRI scan, and made the arrangements. I got a phone call the next day to make a convenient appointment date. I decided the following week was most convenient, and went last wednesday, had an X-ray and my scan. I now await my results which are due later this week.

I think where you live has a bearing on the service you receive. My sister lives in a semi rural area down south, and the service can be 'hit and miss' for her.

My daughter has been working for the NHS since she graduated last year, and some of the things she tells me confirms much of what you say though.

Take it steady with the neck though Dave.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The only places I can find by some google searches that contain the quote that opened this topic are blogs (mostly UK) and 'news' articles from some sites (mostly UK) not known for accurate reporting. I cannot find anything that attributes the words to some specific person or event.

Certainly there is lots of rhetoric over here and some of it is quite heated but the original proposed changes were the sorts of things that are impossible to back away from if they turn out to be a bad idea and some of the specifics looked very much like they might be a very bad idea.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Something that has not been mentioned is that everybody in the UK is entitled to treatment and, although the system is not perfect it is better than no system at all. If you wish you can pay for medical insurance as well and have a 'better' service. To my mind it certainly beats countries that only have an insurance based system...........no cash, no treatment. It's like going back to the Dark Ages, pay or die!

My father has had three hip replacements in the past 25 years and recently had a knee replacement. The NHS consultant was concerned at the state of his knee and put him on a 'fast-track' that enabled him to have the operation done at a BUPA hospital but at no extra expense. My vote's for keeping and supporting the NHS. If other countries don't like it they can always pay....or die. If you gave the vote (and the facts) to the people I'm sure I know which they'd choose!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The only places I can find by some google searches that contain the quote that opened this topic are blogs (mostly UK) and 'news' articles from some sites (mostly UK) not known for accurate reporting. I cannot find anything that attributes the words to some specific person or event.

It apparently surfaced because of a Fox news (surprise, surprise) programme, and the fact that the Glasgow bombers were mainly NHS employees, caused some to come to the 'terrorists' conclusion.

Here's a link to various 'unbiased' ( :rolleyes: ) interviews on the 'perils' of the NHS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/deadlineus...bama-healthcare

What David Hannen is doing in the states instead of Europe I don't know, except telling some Americans what they would like to hear. Talk about misleading 'facts', spin, and half truths, he's a credit to the Tories.

John.

This was said 60 years ago by Aneurin Bevan

Similar things should be said now, after all it's about people's health not profits!

"Speaking at a press conference, Aneurin Bevan acknowledges the problems encountered since the implementation of a National Health Service, including increasing demands on medical staff and facilities. But, in spite of the doubts and controversies, the popularity of the service reflected the fact that there was an overwhelming need for it."

Says it all really!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest Brumagem Phil

It came from drudgereport. Was a US paper iirc but its now dropped off the headline page. True though, it didn't attribute the remarks to an individual.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Something that has not been mentioned is that everybody in the UK is entitled to treatment and, although the system is not perfect it is better than no system at all. If you wish you can pay for medical insurance as well and have a 'better' service. To my mind it certainly beats countries that only have an insurance based system...........no cash, no treatment. It's like going back to the Dark Ages, pay or die!

My father has had three hip replacements in the past 25 years and recently had a knee replacement. The NHS consultant was concerned at the state of his knee and put him on a 'fast-track' that enabled him to have the operation done at a BUPA hospital but at no extra expense. My vote's for keeping and supporting the NHS. If other countries don't like it they can always pay....or die. If you gave the vote (and the facts) to the people I'm sure I know which they'd choose!

I think that sums it up really well.

Americans seem to think about everything in terms of money, if you can't afford it then you don't have it, and if you can't have the best then it ain't worth having. A generalisation of course but as a generalisation its how I see america.......haves and have nots with mediocrity not even being considered.

The American dream is all well and good when it works but when it doesn't then its a nightmare people can't wake from.

I think that a first class, properly functioning National Health Service is definitely something we should aspire to. ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/