Lure anglers

awaaar

Can any of you recommend a good baitcasting outfit?..

Going to treat myself to a new rod/reel for lure fishing at the end of the month, but not sure what to go for...

Thanks in advance :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you use ebay, check out the rods from 'deepinvader' abu 6'6 for about 20quid, i sold on on ebay at the weekend for a fiver, you could have had that one! as far as a reel goes, either an abu 5501c3 or a shimano citica, avoid john wilson six shooters

heard about those six-shooters before - nice one

is that 5501 C3, the Ambassadeur C3?, seen one on basspro - looked a good price too...

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

yeah its the same reel andy, importing them makes sense, but watch the shipping and possible import duties, check ebay they go for 35 to 40 quid on there now, 20 quid ish less than they were going for few months ago.

cheers Jon - think I'll check ebay, but may risk the shipping, as they are only £30 brand new the other side of the pond

- WC Fields

you should get away with minimal duty if the value is as low as that, if you get stung at all. worth the risk definately

quote:

if you use ebay, check out the rods from 'deepinvader' abu 6'6 for about 20quid
I purchased one of said rods and itis excellent, nicely balanced with the abu5501 i got from jeepster.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

Personally, I'd skip on the ABU and go for a Calcutta. My 151 changed my view of these reels and I'm seriously considering dumping my own ABU (unused so far this season) in favour of a 251.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I guess it's just personel preferance but I had a Calcutta 251 when they first came out and didn't really get on with it, much prefer the Abu 5501.

I found the Calcuttas' spool a bit too small in diameter for my needs, and the retreive slightly too slow to take up the slack line between jerks/twitches.

awaaar, what weight lures are you looking to use ?

I've just this evening left the said gentleman 'deepinvader' in Colchester after thrashing the River Yare to a frenzy. He has some new ABUs although I didn't check the model numbers. He's always got the ABU rods so you might wish to have a quick word via piker69@ntlworld.com. His name is Trevor, very user friendly and he'll do his best to help and advise if you are a novice with baitcasters. Tell him you're from Anglersnet and that I was the contact (He'll add another tenner :D )

[ 14. July 2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'