Question. To smack children (or not)

corydoras

To answer your question Corydoras I don't really know to be honest!! Good god man I havce difficulty remembering what I did yesterday at times!! (But I can remember going over the road to see some girls rabbits and Mum tells me I was only about 2 to 3 years old then!!) But Experience tells you I suppose!! A sharp voice doesn't have the desired effect?? Or MR bite-Bite/Bogeyman will not work I suppose!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least you are honest. I found that with my girl she hardly ever needed a smack, a raised voice was normally enough to stop her in her tracks, and my little boy just does not need it. He is proud that has dad has never needed to give him a smack for three years.

The rule is simple in my house. Do what you are asked to do, the first time you are asked and there will be no sanctions or smacking.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

chesters1:

smacking is so yesterday :(

fag burns on the eyelids or cocktail sticks under the fingernails is much more pc

:D:D ROFLOL :D:D

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Guest sslatter

Two pints..whoops! I mean two points:

1) What is a "smack"?

2) I remember debating Corporal Punishment whilst at school, and my opinion then is the same today:

It's (now but not then) rightly banned in order to protect children from those who have a propensity for violence having an excuse to indulge in their own sickness. Those who are old enough to remember Corporal Punishment will surely remember those who went 'a bit too far' in administering it.

(I went to school from 67-74, and the teachers had carte blanche to do what they liked- they could (and did) physically assault us with rubber pipes, wooden rulers, fists, open hands, kicks, broomsticks, and bamboo canes. Reminiscing about this at a recent old boys reunion, it was hard but also strangely comforting to know that many still carry the scars of bitterness and resentment. Not just me then. )

I think all physical punishment for minors should be banned, so as not to give those few bad apples an excuse to go over the top, which they would, were there such a grey area of legality.

After all, like I asked before, what is a "smack"?

[ 22. June 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest sslatter
kleinboet:

A smack is a slap with the open hand an the arm, leg or buttock.

Is that the legal definition?

If so, then what is a "slap"?

[ 22. June 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

kleinboet:

A smack is a slap with the open hand an the arm, leg or buttock.

So a smack on the gob is OTT then

I find a good shoe-in works a treat...

not with a slipper though, walking boots should be ok :D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I wouldn't have thought that there was a legal definition of a slap as it's not illegal to slap a child.

Paul