John Wilson Avon Rod

J.K

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok .. I cant find that reel online lol but thanks for the information

Any ideas on a reel under £40 that will fit the rod and if poss the site to order it from please?

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

It may well be an older model, he has had it for a couple of years. Only thing I can really suggest is take the butt section of the rod to a tackle shop with you and try out the fit before you buy.

Mat

thats a fine idea .. its also good as you can take it all apart leaving the butt section like you said .. meaning I dont look silly carryin around a long part of my rod :P

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Ratchet and Graham, how do you find the Rod for 'pin use ?

I'm finding that I'm having a lot of problems with the line sticking to the top section, which is really cutting down my casting distance with light tackle! I think it is down to the rings being set so close to the blank, have you had the same problem?

Mat

Mat

yes i do have the same problem when using light stick floats i over come this with using a larger stick float but heavilly shotted so the slightest bite it shown, due to a larger float sight tip you can get a way with the float tip just breaking the water surface without losing sight of your float or bite sensitivity.

Guest sslatter

Mat Hillman:

Ratchet and Graham,  how do you find the Rod for 'pin use ?

I'm finding that I'm having a lot of problems with the line sticking.. <SNIP> ..have you had the same problem?

Mat

Hi Mat,

Yes, I've had the same problem with 3lb line, which does not IMO suit the rod at all. It's okay with 5-6lb, but I don't think any of the rod combinations suits lighter line.

I can't knock the rod for value-for-money, but I find it a bit "soulless" if you know what I mean? It hasn't grown on me like other rods have. It's now sitting in the corner unused this year. Ebay beckons, I think.

Let me also say that I've had line-sticking problems with my Preston Carbonactive 13', Shakespeare Powerplay Match and Omni Match, and my Fladden Maxximus, usually when the line is wet, but not always.

[ 19. June 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

I've been using 4lb Daiwa sensor on mine, float fishing for tench, casting light floats underarm is just about impossible due to the line sticking.

Shame really, I have one of the older style JW avons, the 11' one with the single quiver, and love it, but the new one just doesn't seem to have the same build quality.

Mat

Mat

• 2 months later...