Getting the pup today

Guest Rabbit

Guest Rabbit

After years of taking in all types of mature mongrels and the odd pedigree pooch, we have for the first time decided to have a pup, and the only dog in the litter from my sisters dogs. Its an English Springer and we haven't seen him as yet, just an emailed photograph.

He's big and bold apparently, and hopefully will stand his ground with our rescued Chiuwawa, he will need too she is a feisty so and so. :D

My hobby is obedience training, and I hope that I can get him to work well, and of course be patient when fishing. Springers are the SAS of the gun dogs, fearless in flushing out the game birds for the guns, so I know they are hyper active, as I don't shoot I reckon plenty of long walks are the order of the day ;)

As for the name?

Thinking I need a suitable gun dog type of name.. but not sure any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Congrats on your new arrival and i hope you enjoy many years together, they ESS are fantastic dogs and great company, i had mine for seventeen years and she was delightful i still miss her.

Just a note on the working front in most cases only dogs from a working pedigree will excel in the field. there is a great difference in size and temperament between working and show stock the later being a much bigger breed animal that may not be so forward going when it comes to field sports, they are however both wonderful companions.

Now as to the name, my bitch was Dizzy named by my Daughter which i loved, if i had had a Dog i would have named him, Teal, which i think is a great name for a Springer.

Good luck and many happy years together.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Guest Rabbit

Cheers MG and thanks for the info: Teal is a good name, scoured by bird book lol, and liked that...also thought Robin was good, plus Bristol City nickname, but my sons think its a bit 'woosie' :P

Nice one Neil, I hope you have many peaceful waterside walks with it, (so long as they're not in Yorkshire :rolleyes: ).

As for a name?

Well you could try 'Tenuous', because that's all I can say about it's connection to the Coarse Fishing section. :P

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Name it 'hole in the wallet'. Reports the other day said that during it's lifetime dogs cost between £26,000 and £90,000 - unfortunately for you, the Chiuwawa was the £90,000 version but the spaniel should only cost you around £26,000. There is no such thing of course as the National Health for dogs so when they need an operation they get it within days but it costs a fortune!

I realise now why I have been poor all my life, what with my dogs and 2 children who both went to university as well!