Eagle in Norfolk ?

Lee-sox

Four days ago i saw a fantastic sight, I was biking home from work when about 300 yards in front of me up in the canopy of a large tree i saw a big bunch of white feathers erupt from the top, then a pidgeon fly towards the open field being tailed by the most impressive bird i have ever seen it swooped on the pidgeon, caught it and landed in the field where the potatoes blocked my view, i watched for a few minutes then saw the bird fly off into the distance :)

Then tonight, i saw it again but a bit closer this time, It had wing span of about 1 metre, it was brown with a lighter colour head and had about four white feathers on the wing tips with brown feathers separating them.

Ive looked on the RSPB website and an Eagle is the only thing that resembles it.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/w/white...eagle/index.asp

But this cannot be possible because even i know that Eagles are only found in scotland :D If anyone has any ideas as to what else it could be i would be very grateful.

I am going to be taking my camera with me from now on so i can get a photo next time.

[ 20. July 2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Lee-sox ]

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

But buzzards don't take birds in flight do they????

Maybe somebodys pet gone out on the wildside??????????

Buzzards feed mainly on carrion, but I thought Eagles also did. Unless already wounded, could a pigeon not outfly an Eagle.

I'll ask one of my workmates tonight, if I remember!

Wing-span of about 1 metre would fit a Peregrine. Now they can catch a pigeon!

[ 20. July 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Chris Plumb:

Red Kite perhaps - really getting quite common in my neck of the woods (West Berkshire)

Chris

redkite_tcm3-21136.jpg

Is the white visible from above the bird?

[ 20. July 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Dave, that picture looks very much like it but the white on the wings was clearly visible.

quote:

Is the white visible from above the bird?

Only saw the bottom, but the white feathers were on the fingery(?) feathers and not before the as on the pic you posted.

Just spoke to a friend and he too suggested a Kite.

[ 20. July 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Lee-sox ]

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

Guest Ferret1959

buzzard.jpg

As pointed out above buzzards go more for carrion and then aim at stuff on the ground.

Red kites wouldn't take a pigeon in flight either.

I maybe shot down in flames???????

If anyone would like to purchase a Rough Legged Buzzard for the very cheap bargain price of Forty British pounds please get in touch. :):)