Anti Olympics thread.

Cranfield

As a traditional longbow archer, I think that would be an excellent demonstration event (can't be doing with Olympic recurve bows, with all those sights and stabilisers). I'm sure the French wouldn't think we were making references to Crecy, Agincourt, Poitiers, etc. etc....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the money spent to entice it to come here (nice dinners ,cleverly timed pop concerts and concern for certain countries,bribes ,more bribes,employment of washed out ex athletes ,more dinners and many back handers etc)is probably at least up to 50 mil (a few more nurses pay) and now comes the building of the event hardware (more bribes and plenty of understating of costs to get the jobs) a billion or so bill just to allow a few drug enduced athletes to "perform" for a fortnight its madness :mad: :mad:

think of the houses on the site and on the still costing millions even empty the DOMES site we could have :mad: :mad:

[ 07. July 2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I assume you mean drug *enhanced*. Do you really think there are more than a very few athletes "cheating" in this way, then?

i suspect its the case, only the way of detecting them undeveloped

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ferret1959:

How will they handle the hand gun competitions as hand guns are now illegal in this country?

Most handguns are illegal but there will be an exemption of sorts for the duration of the competition. It will however be a big inconvenience for the GB contingent as training will still have to conducted in Switzerland for example.

Rob.

I think all sports injury victims should wait in the NHS queue along with the rest of us, and pay for their treatment, instead using up resources, whether paid for by sponsorship of not, that would be better utilised in getting people in proper jobs, back to work.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

What a cynical bunch you are!

I'm not a sports fan, but I think it likely that the presence of the Olympics in the UK will produce a national feel-good spirit. Yes, there will be the usual "will it be ready on time?" saga, cries of "the money could be better spent", and loads of unwarranted hype - but come on, we get all that anyway.

I have no doubts that we will produce a successful extravaganza that will be a source of national pride.

Sharkbyte:

This country deserves it and has now earnt it.

Sod the money. :)

deserves what? a chance to look like idiots in front of the whole world when we dismally fail to build arenas on time and organise schedules properly?

i'm actually all in favour of the olympics coming to

town, it'll mean a month or so of work for me

From the little that I have seen on the Olympics being held in London it seems to me that the London rate payer will be paying out £20 a year extra to pay for the event :confused: Please correct me if I have it wrong. Winning the Olympics was a NATIONAL victory for the UK, spread the cost Nation wide.

I for one can not see spectators sitting there for 14 days watching some events that they have no interest in so they will go sight seing OUTSIDE of London, spread the total cost further afield, after all the East End is quite a poor area and can hardly afford there present Council taxes.

I also hope that British firms get a lot of the work unlike a big contract for BT that was worth billions and none of it was awarded to UK firms due to there over pricing.

Hospitality lunches, cars, dinners, business lunches etc, SCRAP THEM! Get tough from the start. I used to know a guy that made 4 job applications for the same day in the same area so got 4 lots of expenses but never did go to work firms will abuse the system if they are allowed to get away with it.

We hear so much about hooligans and yobs roaming the streets causing damage etc, why not put them to work on the project with a wage and there prison costs deducted at source? It would not work for a lot of them but if a few could get into the mode that working and taking some pride in it can be rewarding then this must be a help.

Injured competitors, ALL competitors should have compulsory private medical insurance, that is normal practice here in Holland for any sports man no matter at what standard they are competing.

I also hope that the Olympic village will be designed and built in such a way that once the visitors have left that the buildings can be used for normal domestic use at affordable prices for the low paid and not the yuppies.

Transport, use the river Thames more, you should see it over here, the river transport system is brilliant for comuters, the extra few bob you spend on the ferry saves quids on parking. Another topic I think

Just a few of my thoughts for what they are worth.

[ 11. July 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/