fuel protests

deanbmw

Oh what a circus. Oh what a shame.

`Fuel Protest`? What protest?

Loads of 4X4`s jostling for position, hair pulling, handbag swinging etc. And that was on the day before any action was supposed to start!

From my little bunker I watched the public behave like spoilt brats! Courtesy of my cctv feeds.

I watched one lady cram £10 worths of fuel into her Warrior. Thats about 1hrs driving!

Fuel costs. End of story.

I haven`t witnessed many protests about the rise in gas or electricity prices. But we all rely on them as well.

Get real. Wake up and smell the coffee. Whatever expression you prefer.

Fossil fuels are a finite resource. The nearer they come to depletion, the more they will cost. Third world countries like India and China are now industrialised nations. And are able to afford to make a huge difference in the worlds oil markets.

OK. Us in the UK pay dearly in taxes on fuel. Maybe some of you would rather do without the much denigrated NHS, or free schools etc?

How come so many of us voted for the government we have? The same government that voted against the equalisation of taxes in the E.U.

So what if the French have cheaper fuel? You voted for the government that wanted higher fuel taxes!

The end result will be. Petrol will be over £6 a gallon within 18mnths.

And not because of those who support hunting and shooting. Not because of the ignorant brigade that read the `Sun`.

Simply because fossil fuels are running out. And some third world countries (mainly India and China) can now afford to bid for them.

I think my next boat will have big sticks and curtains hanging off it? :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could not agree more, well put Paul.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Another problem is voter apathy - governments are being elected on the votes of an increasingly small percentage of the population. it's hard to believe that so many think that "all parties are the same these days". I've always believed in proportional representation, but I suppose that would now mean that any "winners" (assuming every parliament wasn't hung)would have an even smaller number of the population behind them.

Still, if you don't vote, you can't complain (not that it stops people).

I became first name terms with my MP - when he realised we were at school together.

It's amazing how responsive he became when I challenged him about fuel taxation. Apartently it's all the fault of the Tories. Funny, he wouldn't expand upon that - even when I made the point that if there was political will to change the situation, it could happen - which puts the onus for change firmly in the hands of the incumbent rabble of incompetents.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Hmmmmm!

Oil company boardroom:

"I know let's spend x millions on an advertising project"

"No, I've got a much better idea, let's simply increase the price"

"Uh!"

"Bound to be a protest, people talking about blocking oil refineries etc, media frenzy, people hitting the internet forums, sending out hundreds of emails, queues at the pumps as everbody tops up with very expensive fuel"

"Then! when everyone has filled their tanks with very expensive fuel, we drop the price again and look like the good guys!"

"Brilliant! We'll make a fortune!"

They wouldn't would they?

We wouldn't fall for that, would we?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0...1571750,00.html

Ever been had :D

Tight Lines - leon

[ 16. September 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Spasor, that's interesting because exactly how many of us voted for the government we have?? I agree with DavyR that proportional representation is the way to go - for example:

Labour presently have 356 seats i.e. overall majority

Cons presently have 198 seats

Labour took 35.3% of the share of the vote

Convs took 32.3% of the share of the vote

The difference at the last election was only 700,000 votes, which in the grand scale of things isn't a great deal (precisely 3% in fact).

With proportional representation that would give a government comprising of 289 against 265.

You can then see the reason why labour wouldn't ever push PR as a better system (even though it is), because they certainly wouldn't have gotten an Iraq war, probably wouldn't squirmed out of the hutton enquiry, and with the Libs (and other parties like the greens getting a say) would have no overall majority (out with foundation hospitals, higher rates of student loans etc).

I think one day proportional representation will happen, and then people discussing politics can start talking about the 'will of the people'.

People laugh at the electoral college thing the Americans use, but really ours is not much better. Can anyone truly question why a tiny nation like ours actually needs 630 MPS anyway!!

Ian W

quote:

It's amazing how responsive he became when I challenged him about fuel taxation. Apartently it's all the fault of the Tories. Funny, he wouldn't expand upon that - even when I made the point that if there was political will to change the situation, it could happen - which puts the onus for change firmly in the hands of the incumbent rabble of incompetents.

the gov quote this "fact" for most things but despite being in power since 97 they still havent changed this "bad" tory thing ,not that bad then :mad: :rolleyes:

i feel sorry for the fuel protestors and their policy but despite their actions they are doomed to failure :( although 99% of us agree we all need the petrol to go about our daily lives in the main ,the government know this and if a blockade starts draconian laws brought in on the fly will break any blockade ,anyway what do the leaders care how the rabble afford to drive their cars their all chauffer driven with unlimited expenses ,let them eat cake springs to mind or "do as we say not as we do" a greatly used commie trait :rolleyes:

they decry leaders that get fat whilst the population suffer but believe me our lot beat them all.

even if the petrol is stopped from being distrubted for months what do the government care there are hidden dumps all over the country (even enough for 2 jags) they will still get about with the luxery of empty motorways and if they get bored can still jet everywhere instead with the luxery of no tax at all .

p.s. the tax hike by B.A. to "cover fuel increases" is a lie, its blatent extortion B.A. has already payed its fuel costs this year :rolleyes:

the best action would be to blockade the ports and airfields once luxury goods stop appearing in the commons greatly discounted resturants something may happen

[ 16. September 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

Still, if you don't vote, you can't complain (not that it stops people).

i have never voted because we dont have any say on what our elected mp does when on the gravy train called parliament ,they come to your door (mines shut in their fat faces)and spout what they will do but its all forgotten once their in ,and not voting gives me a greater reason to complain ,voters just can shut their mouths when the mp they elected ignores them or shut their mouths when the mp they tried to vote in fails to get on the gravy train both are or would be as bad as each other

a bloke with a far quicker brain than i one said words to the effect of "anyone who wants to be an mp is the last person that should be elected as one" or summat

parliament is a great job ,no need to turn up (except when absolutly needed to outvote a harmfull thing that might effect mp's)

a once monthly meet with the disgusting plebs that elected you (plenty of fake sympathy and dropping of notes taken in bin on exit)

a luxery house supplied free in london if your a tad to far out to commute to a building you dont use (great for hookers and renting to the rich)p.s dont get caught if your main house is within a few miles of westminster

greatly subsidised bars and resturants ,travelling costs refundable if your not given a car (or 3) and chauffers.

free trips to hot countries on "fact finding" trips with all your friends

a meal voucher bigger than most peoples wages per day and free resturant meals at the best in london if you call it a "meeting"

nice jobs as fake chairmen/chancellors etc, well paid so you can look after the "interests" of your benefactors and more if you "accidentally" get them government funding or deals etc (sorry i forgot to put it in the disclosure book my mistake honest)

etc etc etc

even the house of lords is a trough almost £300 a day to turn up even if you only show your face and bugger off to the club

:rolleyes:

oh forgot to mention the extra extra long holidays you get when parliaments out

[ 16. September 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we dont have a bus anymore the council in their wisdom shelved it ,people like myself who use a fiver a week filling their tank are infact doing high users a favour their tank full will last them for weeks thus leaving room in the line for the fuel abusers who fill up every week :P