fuel protests

deanbmw

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not let us use veg oil without taxing it as fuel? :confused:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You never know Elton - it could improve the performance of your van.

At least I'd have lasting memories of a fish & chip shop when you drive past. :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

jeepster:

jonathan porritt is as usual full of bullshine! we never had cheap fuel

Why do I remember lots of people in the 60s/early 70s having their oil-fired central heating turned up to tropical levels (and I'm not talking about people that were well-off)?

Elton:

Why not let us use veg oil without taxing it as fuel?   :confused:  

Some countries are already using ethanol from sugar cane as fuel. Now as soon as the big car makers can find a way of making that appear sexy...

Who says fuel would run out in 20 years Tony? By the way, I am 25, but I can find you a thousand people who are in their 40's or 50's now who were told the same thing 30 years ago.

I appreciate resources are finite, but there are a great many oil fields around the world that no-one knows nothing about yet. If 20 years was realistic everyone would be panicing (all the industry around the world is virtually dependent on oil).

Next, when the Conservatives lost power I was paying 74p - I am now paying £1 - a rise of 30% of thereabouts. The difference is well above inflation, mainly tax and VAT and pretty much beyond the control of petrol companies.

By the way, do you think Esso really would give a flying fck if we didn't buy petrol for a week....They make billions, and contribute billions to the UK economy. I am sick of people slating oil companies because they basically have been successful, and as I've said WHAT THEY CHARGE HERE IS ROUGHLY THE SAME ALL OVER THE WORLD. The difference between here, europe and the states is the tax - there is no way around it.

This is (out and out) another redistribution of wealth policy...it benefits the poor/unemployed/single mothers, the rich don't care and the people in the middle that work hard for a living end up getting shafted again.

Ian W

UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk:

If 20 years was realistic everyone would be panicing (all the industry around the world is virtually dependent on oil).

Supply isn't the only argument to be considered - there's also the contribution that the burning of fossil fuels makes to global warming.

It scares the hell out of me when the nuclear industry that I thought we'd seen the back of starts claiming that the only way to cope will be to start promoting nuclear power again.

The old analogy of madly mopping the floor to deal with an overflowing sink, instead of turning the taps off, comes to mind.

Energy saving measures are often simple and cost effective, but require a bit of a change in most people's daily lives. Not many people want to do that. Is it because they don't beleive it will help? That they think someone else ought to be doing it and not them? Or that they just can't be bothered to think about it because they've got more important things to think about?

This will never work.

Folks go out panic buying so theres a massive upsurge in fuel sales. Then theres a blockade and no fuel can get to the pumps. A few days later its back there and folks go out and fill up again.

Its just a big peak and trough to upset the normal straight line of fuel sales per day in the country. Folks top up before and top up after so we`re still using the same amount of fuel but just buying it en mass.

The government knows this and knows that regardless of what we do we`ll still pay the prices because theres no other way.

[ 13. September 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Severn Wolf ]

wolf.gif

quote:

It scares the hell out of me when the nuclear industry that I thought we'd seen the back of starts claiming that the only way to cope will be to start promoting nuclear power again.

If you want cheap sustainable electricity without burning fossil fuels then nuclear is the only real way to go. Windmills only produce when the wind is blowing, and nobody has sussed out a cheap way of storing electricity.

France is about 80% nuclear and has some of the cheapest electricity in the EU.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

quote:

Originally posted by corydoras:

[/qb]

If you want cheap sustainable electricity without burning fossil fuels then nuclear is the only real way to go. [/QB]

And that's exactly what scares me - that people might be happier to accept the storage of nuclear waste for 100s of years rather than learn to control their consumption and put more effort into energy conservation.