Its coming home, it's coming home....

RUDD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluezulu:

and you jocks know sod all about football! :P:P:D

I know enough not to bet on England winning, or to swallow all the media hype about your team.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No, I don't have any Norman ancestry. Pure Pict me. Dark hair, blue eyes.

[ 28. June 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

quote:

Maybe another team apart from the two foreign teams Rangers or Celtic will win something in Scotland in the next ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Rudd

No, I think other teams in Scotland will find it hard, as they dont have the money to fully compete - but they passionately try there best to.

English Premiership could go the same way, but on a higher level off financing - with the big teams like Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool having the money to attract big name players, where other teams such as Birmingham can only afford to sign "Has Beens" such as Heskey etc - who was not even a regulart starter at Liverpool. Realisticly do you expect to see the likes of Southampton, Birmingham, Middlesborgh, Everton, Bolton etc winning the Premiership in the next couple of years - unless an Abramovic figure comes in.

What has happened to Leeds could happen to any of these teams - big money players, big faliures.

Since 1966 is quoted so much, and RIGHTLY SO - it is a proud moment in English footballs history .. but you don't often mention 1967 when we came down to Wembley and beat your great world champions 3-2, in a game where there is famous footage of Jim Baxter doing Keepy Upy down the wing as the England players could not get the ball of him ... maybe they were still tired from winning the world cup.

Gillies

ps: has Beckhams ball landed yet? :D

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Gillies:

Southampton

Easy on Southampton please Gillies,that's my local team.

Gillies:

quote:

Maybe another team apart from the two foreign teams Rangers or Celtic will win something in Scotland in the next ten years!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Rudd

No, I think other teams in Scotland will find it hard, as they dont have the money to fully compete - but they passionately try there best to.

English Premiership could go the same way, but on a higher level off financing - with the big teams like Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool having the money to attract big name players, where other teams such as Birmingham can only afford to sign "Has Beens" such as Heskey etc - who was not even a regulart starter at Liverpool. Realisticly do you expect to see the likes of Southampton, Birmingham, Middlesborgh, Everton, Bolton etc winning the Premiership in the next couple of years - unless an Abramovic figure comes in.

What has happened to Leeds could happen to any of these teams - big money players, big faliures.

Since 1966 is quoted so much, and RIGHTLY SO - it is a proud moment in English footballs history .. but you don't often mention 1967 when we came down to Wembley and beat your great world champions 3-2, in a game where there is famous footage of Jim Baxter doing Keepy Upy down the wing as the England players could not get the ball of him ... maybe they were still tired from winning the world cup.

Gillies

ps: has Beckhams ball landed yet? :D

Every football league in the world is the same.

Same old teams every year in the champions league.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

gillies birmingham may not win the title but we might win a cup and we will finish in the top half of the premier league again.no we don`t have abramovic in charge but we do have the gold brothers and david sullivan in charge of our finances. our club was struggerling in the first division when they took over. they are steadily building a club to challenge the best sides in the country. as for buying nothing but has beens well i`m sure your little scottish clubs would love to have players such as david dunn,robbie savage,muzzy izzett,maik taylor,matt upson,,kenny cuningham,stan lazaridis,mikael forsell and yes even heskey who will prove a lot of people wrong next wait and see.so have fun watching cowdenbeath,forfar or which ever mighty club you follow must be fun standing with the other 150 fans that turn up to watch them!

birmingham,southampton,middlesbrough,everton,bolton all real clubs like the rest of the premiership unlike those piddley little clubs north of the border!!

how you`ve got the nerve to slag off our clubs beggars beleif !!!!!!!!!!!

[ 29. June 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: bluezulu ]

Blue Zulu - calm down, and read the posting I did properly. I was not slagging of the (as you put it) "real" clubs - I was just making a realistic comparisson. I was refering to the point, that outside of Rangers and Celtic that other Scottish teams rarely win anything in Scotland now as they can not afford to compete with them.

This goes on in the English Premiership, but on a much bigger scale (bigger league, MUCH more money) - the teams I mentioned, can not realistically challenge Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool - without serious cash investment. A numbers of players in Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool were regular first team choices for their countries in Euro 2004 - I didnt hear to many of the Birmingham players you mentioned playing or producing outstanding performances. - yes, I know there was not many players that play/played in Scotland (except Larson) that did well in the competition either.

My point/opinion, hard to take as it may be - as long as the bigger clubs have a much bigger cash flow, mid to bottom league teams will not be able to compete, and sign the top players. You can not even rely on bringing on younger players now even - as once they begin to shine the bigger clubs are ready to step in and take them away (ie Man U wanting Rooney). I know he has not gone anywhere yet, but will be surprised if Rooney stays at a club where winning a trophy will be hard, and results dont often go your way - when a club that will offer European Football, chance to play with top International players and of course more money are wanting you. If he does stay at Everton - will be great for football though, and make him an Everton legend. If Birmingham were to bring through a young player like Rooney - I expect the same situation would arise - with the bigger club soon snapping him up.

Be nice if some of these teams did make a serious challange to the top 4-5 positions, but they don't have the money and the players. You can just hope that Man U etc do a Leeds and fall apart - but I dont think that will happen!

As Rudd says "Every football league in the world is the same. Same old teams every year in the champions league."

For your information - I support Aberdeen (any jokes about them, are wasted Ive heard them all), very very poor team thats lost direction - but in the early 80s we were a force in Europe, and did win a European trophy. I've accepted that we were a great team back then, and now are extremely poor going no where - In a sense, kind of like comparing the current England team to the 1966 team

If I do slag anything of in English football, it's the national team after all the over the top hype of a poor team that lacks passion. The drive within the team seemed to come from all the media hype!

A postings in this thread really made me laugh where you say "and you jocks know sod all about football" - ummmmm I may be wrong, but aren't there a number of "Jock" managers in the English premiership? Ferguson, Sturrock, Moyles, Souness etc and Ferguson has won the English premiership more than anyone - and Daglish has also. Could be argued that the "Sassenachs" know nowt about football - when it comes to management!

Gillies

[ 29. June 2004, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com