Collectable tackle

darrell.cook

Anyone collect any items of old tackle ?

I've fancied getting hold of a Mitchell 300 for some time now. I bid on some on Ebay this week and won, I paid £32 for a boxed, sold as excellent, example. Not delivered yet but I think I did OK.

I also managed to buy two "well used" examples from the same seller for £11.20. So looking out for the postman!

As a kid in the 70's I never managed to own a Mitchell, I had an Intrepid black Prince and an Intrepid Boyo, though one of my mates had a Mitchell and he grew up to be the ultimate tackle tart!!

So it's taken me nearly 30 years, but hopefully will quench my desire! :rolleyes:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi darrell i grew up on Mitchell infact i got my first one for my 13th or14th birthday im 41 now and ive still got it and 3 others too and they are all in quite good but not mint condition as ive allways used them

The Mitchell 300 is still a great reel, but the new edition is even better!

Why do we use old tackle? I suppose as kids we would dream of owning the then ultimate tackle of its day. Now, in some kind of perverse way, as we approach our dotage, we are satisfying our latent dreams! P.S. Angling dotage starts at 30!!

Hi Guys, I bought my first 300 at the weekend, after dreaming of having one for over 35years. It cost me £12 with 2 spare spools in their wee tins. Seemingly it is an early one, and is still working perfectly.As smooth as a babies bum, as they say. As far as mitchell reels being even better nowadays, I recently spent £32 (in a sale)on a Brand New Mitchell Spinning reel, think it was an FX something or other,after a few months fairly hard use, it started grinding etc, got the run around etc etc,it was crap and ended up at a church jumble sale.Hopefully my £12 ,over 50 year old reel will serve me for longer than the new one did.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

dont forget we have our own little collectors corner :D

http://anglersnet.co.uk/collectors/

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The original 300s are a joy to use and if you wanted, you could start a collection of them on their own. I have about 6 or 7 of the different variations (left and right hand, which are the 301s). The basic foot/body arrangement, was common to A LOT of other Mithchell reels over the years. I've now got 37 different derivatives (I know , I'm a sad old git!).

Even if you can pick up knackered old examples for a couple of bob, don't overlook the possibilities. I bought a Mitchell Match for £3, with the foot broken off a few years back. I repaired a damaged Match for a chap last closed season using the parts, which secured me access to a previously "private" part of a river for this season. Well worth £3.

I also agree with Peter, the new 300s are great, i use two for my barbelling. No problems after 2 years.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I'm planning on keeping the "excellent" one, and using one of the others ( nostalgia ).

I'm looking for a Mitchell Match now, how much do you think a fair price would be ? I'd be looking for a boxed excellent condition if possible.

Ahhhh,Mitchells.Ive just retired my 300 and Match after many years of great service.Just brought a new Mitchell and will be well pleased if it lasts as long.When i think of all the old gear thrown away over the years i cringe.Things like the wooden float and tackle winders,some with sliding compartments and the old metal maggot tins; the two foot long(yes two foot) keepnets that needed treating every so often and had a draw string around the top..Still have a whole cane rod and a built cane(dennis pye pike rod)by chapmans and an oldish speedia wide drum centre pin,which gets the occasional airing,none of which are probably worth a great deal,but i shall be holding on to them.

Chuby.