Money transfers ?

RobStubbs

I need to send some money to a German company and they have given me their bank details to transfer funds into. Now it is only a small amount 15 quid ish but I don't quite know how to transfer the monies. I'm going to pop into my bank and see if they can process it but in the meantime I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I don't think a credit/debit card transaction is possible but if I else fails I will phone them and ask.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Phone them and see if they will take a CC mate. its a lot cheaper.

Banks charge about £25.00 for a CHAPS transfer irrespective of the amount sent.

You can get a 'Moneygramme' from the Post Office but send it to a trusted source as you can be defrauded easily with them and Western Union.

If you trust the firm get the price in Euros and send them the cash recorded delivery with the Post Office.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Its as straight forward as it gets Rob . All you need is their Iban number and the transfer appears in their account in a few days. The thing you need to watch for is that your bank may make a charge , the rate of exchanged used if it has to paid in euros from stirling , and to make certain that the payment is received into their account without them incurring charges.

For anyone transfering money , you can set up a direct debit with the Nationwide building soc and they will transfer any amount for a payment of £5. I havnt a clue whether you get caught out on the exchange rate used but as seems a common practice of all banks to do this now I doubt it. Dont forget to revoke the direct debit once the payment has been received and renew if you need the service again. Far cheaper ( and a lot faster than) than the £18 -25 imposed by most banks.

I have a daughter living in South Africa, and I send her a £10.00 postal order which is accepted by South african Post Offices and paid at their current rate less a small commission. I wonder if it is the same in Germany?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

i bank with natwest and am capable of online banking. this is dead simple to do and i can pay any amount of money into any account that i have the sort code and account number for and not get charged for it. don't know if this will help the immediate situation, but it may be worth your while looking into it 'just in case in the the future'.

I don't seem able to do the same with Lloyds TSB - checked earlier. Bank charges work out about the same as what I want to buy (15 pounds) so I'm not doing that.

I'm going to try and see if I can get it direct from the UK supplier, if I can find him at the w/e (it's a special shooting glove and I'm at Bisley this w/e where the guy works). Failing that I might have to brush up on my German and phone them for advice.

Cheers,

Rob.

Yee Gods and little fishes Rob, its just fifteen quid, its not worth the effort of running around fixing up special deals, checking rates, setting up direct debits, trying to save a few pence. your time must be worth at least fifteen quid an hour. If you lose it, fifteen quid is not going to break your heart. If you send it registered post, you'll stand in a PO queue for ages where youll have to put up with everyone's snot-nosed brats running around like banshees and they'll likely charge you a little under a fiver for the priveledge. Its just fifteen quid mate.

I've just bought a pair of Knipex boltcroppers from a German tool retailer. Went into my local travel agent, bought the euros, wrapped them in a sheet of A4, stuck them in an envelope and 'bobs yer firkin'

Boltcroppers arrived a week later.

If you telephone them then the opening phrase is

'enschuldige bitte, ich bin ein englander, haben sie..........?' :)

Actually I emailed my supplier in German and he replied in English, how bizarre does it get.

[ 25. November 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'