was a natural disaster now a humanitarian catastrophe

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

food and water are THE priority, without those you're dead. If that cannot be provided then help yourself.

If the authorities are so stupid that they impose law and order without providing food and water then they deserve what they get.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Argyll, don't be fooled by all the romantic memories of WW2 and the wonderful way that people responded when their neighbors were in trouble'

I'm not being fooled by anything. My parents had what was known as an oil shop in the East End that took a direct hit... they lived over the shop. There were safer jobs than selling paraffin close to the London Docks during a war. The pub opposite took them in (I grew up with their son) and everyone rallied round. Growing up I not only heard what life was like during the blitz but I experienced immediate post war London for myself. Not much of anything was available but nobody starved and whilst its a somewhat hackneyed expression...you could and did leave your backdoor open. It was nothing like your experiences at all and nothing like present day New Orleans....sadly.

[ 02. September 2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

"Perhaps the citizens of Houston and all of those other wide open spaces should right now be opening up their homes and taking care of their neighbours instead of sticking them in a sports stadium"

I think they are already housing the original 80%

of the city that did get out.

The US army once boasted they could set up a

50,000 tented community with in 48 hours.

BUT ONLY IN IRAQ THAT WOULD SEEM :mad:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

It does seem incredible that the richest and most powerful nation on earth can’t evacuate the remaining 100,000 or so citizens that it has still within the city of New Orleans and provide them with food, clean drinking water and shelter, but it can find the logistical capacity to move in heavily armed troops into the area with orders to shoot to kill.

How hard can it be to commandeer school busses for a couple of days and open up a national guard barracks or a couple of school buildings to accommodate these people ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

'I think they are already housing the original 80% of the city that did get out'

Most of the stories that I heard on the news channels were of people leaving the area and going ANYWHERE north to friends, relatives and hotels.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Leon, I said a few days ago in reply to one of your posts that it wasn`t as big a deal as everyone was making out.

I now offer my apologies, I got it totally wrong. This is one of the worst situations I think I`ve ever seen in a Western society.

Its taken no time at all for total regress by the citizens and complete bufoonery by the powers that be.

Its not looting, the people just want a chance to survive. Not much to ask from the most powerful government in the world is it really?

[ 02. September 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Severn Wolf ]

wolf.gif

"Leon, I said a few days ago in reply to one of your posts that it wasn`t as big a deal as everyone was making out.

I now offer my apologies, I got it totally wrong"

Neither did I SW, and by the looks of it, neither did the US administration :(

Please don't shoot me for this.....but where did all the white people go?

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

argyll:

the vast general population of the USA that have spare rooms, space, food, water, beds, clothes could and should be mobilised into helping 'one on one' In the nineteen forties in the UK it was called 'the wartime spirit'  

Exactly right Argyll.

My daughter and her husband (both Brits who live near Austin, Texas) have immediately offered to take in a couple they know from New Orleans, "To stay for as long as it takes for them to get sorted"

I'm just pleased that my parenting seems to have produced the sort of person that stands by their friends in time of need.

I'm sure there are like-minded American citizens who will do the same.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

food and water is one thing i agree.

but can you eat a tv or stereo? as they were the first targets.

i don`t think they want to shoot anyone desperate for food,i am sure those people would be glad to see the military shoot the armed gangs of scum before they kill or rape anyone else.

later guys i`m going fishing