Bird Flu...Problem or Hype

deanbmw

DavyR:

No problem there, Tyke - It's not spread by eating birds. Unless you mean the governement might suggest slaughtering all our poultry "as a precaution"?

What do you mean "might suggest"

Surely that's a certainty :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh were all going to die.... Im sure thats what 'They' want us to think... I dont see it, but if it does happen, every man for themselves as they say... demon demon demon

Seriously though, what will they think of next? How many people died of mad coo disease? Ill be the 1st to eat humble pie

Tight Lines

Shaun

Spur-Hound:

How many people died of mad coo disease?

Not a very fair comparison, though, as BSE is a slow-burner that develops (as vCJD) in humans over a long period of years. More cases *may* still appear at a later date. Flu pandemics mean very high rates of transmission over a comparatively short period of time.

having saw the pyres in devon in the F & T outbreak isnt it dangerouse to eat chicken cooked on barbies incase you get food poisening :confused:

hopefully all these highly priced "organic" egg producers will go out of business ,not only do they feed the birds crap they let them outside to eat other birds crap and charge for the privilage

chickens in sheds let out in a field devoid of plants to either scratch in bare dust or mud ,step towards a bit of green and their fried on several feet of electric fencing :confused: how the hecks that "natural" :confused:

quote:

The constant worries about where the H5N1 bird-flu is at any one point in time is just so much media hype but if/when it stops being bird-flu and starts being people-flu it's going to leave continents reeling and so many people dead that the bodies will be left on the streets to rot

errr wasent that common practice in the seventies along with fat rats living on acres of street covered rubbish ,not chickens .... Unions :D

[ 18. October 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Its more than a bit of a problem for Bernard Matthews. All of his turkeys were half price in Sainsburies today. I think this bird flu was dreamed up by the TLA....Turkey Liberation Army.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

Its more than a bit of a problem for Bernard Matthews. All of his turkeys were half price in Sainsburies today. I think this bird flu was dreamed up by the TLA....Turkey Liberation Army.

me and the wife was on about this today, should we have a turkey of what.

We could have the easteren european option, Carp

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

As you know I am a district nurse working for 2 GP surgeries,one surgeries flu jabs arrived Monday afternoon,the other surgery don't get theres till begining of november.

We are now busy trying to get as many vunerable people vaccinated as usual,there is no panic and no extra advice.

The flu virus, however, is constantly changing its structure (mutating). This means that each year a different vaccine containing different strains of the virus is required. This vaccine contains the strains of influenza that have been identified by the World Health Organisation and the EU as being prevalent for the 2005 to 2006 season.

Not sure if this is helpful....anyone who is eligble should be vacinated as usual.

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

nursejudy:

The flu virus, however, is constantly changing its structure (mutating). This means that each year a different vaccine containing different strains of the virus is required. This vaccine contains the strains of influenza that have been identified by the World Health Organisation and the EU as being prevalent for the 2005 to 2006 season.

There was something in New Scientist about bird flu and the shortage of vaccine. The concern is that they won't be able to make enough, partly because it's going to need two large spaced doses. They're looking into whether the additive used to boost the immune response to other vaccines will reduce the quantity needed. Anyway, the other chink of light is that they think some people vaccinated against a 1997 bird flu strain show some reactivity against HN51. So they may be able to use stocks of vaccine from past years which, while they won't provide complete immunity, may lessen the severity of the disease.

Ah, here's the article:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health.../mg18825215.900