Pick up your live bait at the tackle shop?

lutra

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Certified, triploid, sterile livebait" Well, if that keeps the politicos happy, why not? Better than banning everything in sight.

....but as for that being common practice in the States, hmmmmm. The USA I visit must be on a different planet, (well, it IS south of the Mason-Dixon line). Certainly the local grocery store sells live fish as bait, but they have never seen a fish farm - they are obtained by one or two local "good ol' boys" down at the river with a throw net. The real rednecks have their own throw net and catch their own bait.

What say you, Newt?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Funny enough I was going to post on this yesterday.I for one hope that it doesn't happen! Strange coming from a dyed in the wool live baiting predator angler like myself you may think.

During the years Ive spent living abroad Ive see enough of "tackle shop live baits" to be worried.They are often in very poor condition,from dodgy supplies and kept in bad,overcrowded conditions which just scream disease! As they are brought to sell for profit the retailers are loathe to bang any sick ones on the head and out of the door they go!

Anyway the set up for anglers to obtain live baits is already in place (erm like all of these issues it seems!) They are called fish farms!! Clean well looked after fish from a sustainable source at a sensible price! What is it with anglers and bleeding tackle shops?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I also find it disturbing that "80% of AT readers is being quoted. Won't be long before this is being stated as a fact (followed by the circulation figures).

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Not having done any livebaiting for pike for a few years I was unaware that fish such as carp were popular as livebait!

Or did they mean fish of the carp family?

80% of AT readers my @rse, 80% of some idiots who filled in a poll :wallbash:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As a kid, one of the delights of visiting my local tackle shop in the 50's was to watch the livebaits swimming around in the aquarium; roach, perch, dace, rudd.

The aquarium was well stocked on Fridays, but you needed to get there early on Saturday to fill your live-bait kettle before the tank was empty, otherwise there wouldn't be pike for tea on Sunday.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

As a kid, one of the delights of visiting my local tackle shop in the 50's was to watch the livebaits swimming around in the aquarium; roach, perch, dace, rudd.

The aquarium was well stocked on Fridays, but you needed to get there early on Saturday to fill your live-bait kettle before the tank was empty, otherwise there wouldn't be pike for tea on Sunday.

MURDERER!................... :spiteful:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If it becomes law that the only way you can livebait is with fish bought specifically for the purpose from tackle shops, the future of livebaiting is short. Consider the current DEFRA stance on feeding live food to captive animals:

Although the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 to 1964 do not prohibit the feeding of animals with live prey, the live feeding of vertebrate prey should be avoided save in exceptional circumstances, and then only under veterinary advice. Where any live prey must be used, its welfare must be considered as well as any potential injury which might be caused to the predator.

Now imagine tackle shops routinely stocking tanks of doomed fish. At the moment, we mostly only have loonies on our case, but I would say that banning the sale of fish for livebait is the kind of self contained, well defined and easily achievable cause the RSPCA would be keen to take up and run with. It might even be sufficient to obtain a judicial ruling on the sale of live fish for feeding to captive predators, without any need to go through parliament or to bring angling into it directly.

Edited by Steve Walker

Agreed, it would be an easy foothold on the ladder. Comparisons with the US are flawed, middle England does not share any values with your average Texan.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What a gap in the market. I'm surprised nobody's spotted it before. I mean, there must be almost as many livebait anglers in England & Wales as there are tackle shops. Obviously, not every angler will want to buy his livebait, but if every shop stocked one fish, there should be plenty to go round.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE