Why spade AND eyed?

TrevBoy

Just bought some hooks on line. When they arrived I see that they are spade-end, rather than eyed, which is what I normally use. My question is, why have both types - is one design better than the other and in what regard?

Off to find a suitable knot to use -'em!

Just bought some hooks on line. When they arrived I see that they are spade-end, rather than eyed, which is what I normally use. My question is, why have both types - is one design better than the other and in what regard?

I use spade end mainly because that is what I was brought up to use, I think they create a stronger, neater knot as well but I'm not sure. I use them out of habit and because they are the easiest to get hold of.

My question is, why have both types - is one design better than the other and in what regard?

Spade ends give better presentation on light tackle. Eyed hooks can be attached more strongly. Or so I have always believed, I've never actually put the knot strength to the test. Might be an interesting experiment.

I use spade ends for smaller hooks and eyed for larger sizes. The boundary is about size 14, of which I will use both types.

Most of my fishing for Barbel is done with eyed hooks, size 4-12's. I do however use spade end hooks when using smaller hooks for Grayling, Chub etc.

Paul

Anything below a size 14, I use a spade end, above size 10 I use eyed. There is a cross over point between those sizes when (depending on bait, and species) where I will use either.

Spade ends provide a more delicate presentation with small baits/fine lines than an eyed hook, (imagine trying to get an eye on a size 24/26).

Eyed hooks are usually stronger and the presence of the eye will be less important with a big bait.

You can buy 'hook tiers' for spade ends that make the job a lot easier, they can take a bit of getting used to, but with practice it becomes a 'doddle'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This the neatest (and probably strongest). If there is a loop on your hooks to nylon, just cut it off.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/surgeon.html

Until I found this recommended for making tapered leaders for flyfishing I used the two loop method. I cant believe how untidy that looks now!

Edited by ColinW

Trevboy

I use two types of hook tyer, the Drennen hook tyer and the Matchman hook tyer, both tie the same type of Knot, both are easy to use, they make it easy for tying your own Hair rigs too

They will tie both spade and eye hooks, I used to tie my hooks freehand but since I bought those it makes it so easy

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive