Free Angling Coaching On The River Wensum In Norwich

Anglers' Net

I wouldn't consider that barbel might have lived in the Wensum years ago to be "as absurd as claiming that UFO's might just exist", but i can see why you would like us to.

Thinking about it, UFO's do exist, it's just that their precise nature has not been scientifically established, hence the term UFO. However when people suggest that a UFO must therefore be a flying saucer from another galaxy, then questions start to arise in my mind. That is a massive leap of faith.

I agree Lutra, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that barbel might have patrolled the Wensum River at some point since the end of the last ice age, but that is an awfulilly long perod of time, and the natural geomophology of the river has changed a great deal in that time.

The big question in my mind is whether they are particularly suited to the Wensum. This species has been introduced to many rivers in England such as the Severn and the Avon where they have adapted well and populations soon became self sustaining. Not so on the Wensum. Sure, the ones that are introduced tend to grow very big (nothing wrong with the water quality), but it's levels of natural recruitment that are critical, and that comes down to habitat rather than water quality. I can see why you would not like this to be so Lutra, but it is.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Lutra, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that barbel might have patrolled the Wensum River at some point since the end of the last ice age, but that is an awfulilly long perod of time, and the natural geomophology of the river has changed a great deal in that time.

Good, so if you were trying to restore the Wensum to a more natural state, you can now see why barbel may be part of that. As they might be a native species.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

As you say, Andy, natural recruitment on the Wensum is critical, but some silly sod in a canoe keeps upsetting it! Afraid that you left yourself wide open to that one!!

So does some silly sod with a fishing line and a hook. Glad you agree that this whole thing about barbel in the Wensum is an experiment. Hang on a minute, didn't I read something somewhere about you navigating through private water without landowner's consent? Ah yes, here it is :

"We have 'broads' within the Norfolk & Suffolk river system that are alegedly 'private'. These Broads are unquestionably tidal but still claimed as private. However there are those of us who excercise our right to navigate a tidal water, in search of pike, and, as yet, the 'owners' have not gone to court to uphold their privecy claims. We guess they would rather that their claims to privecy were not decided in court, knowing that they would probably, we hope, loose."

Yep, that's pretty much how it stands on the Wensum. I know it's not tidal through NACA stretches, but that's only because of manmade sluices.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out ....

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Good, so if you were trying to restore the Wensum to a more natural state, you can now see why barbel may be part of that. As they might be a native species.

No more than gnu. What I previously posted was pure speculation, same as Wheeler and Jordan engaged in. If I was trying to restore the river to a more natural state then I would remove the sluices, then I would remove the chub, then I would remove the barbel.

Hopefully after that the barbel fishermen would remove themselves so the rest of us can get on with persuing normal activities.

Edited by andy_youngs

Andy says, 'I know it's not tidal through NACA stretches'. Well, there you are then!

No way Peter, you are selectively editing my quotes. Frankly, this is getting boring. How about letting the thread drop down eh? I'll take it up with other authorities ... promise ...

Andy, you are flogging a dead horse! You will be up against the Angling Trust and the landowners, good luck!

David was up against Goliath

The tortoise was up against the hare

Sunderland were up against Leeds United

Custer was up against the injuns....opps sorry no, he lost.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back